Gateshead vs Witton Albion (FA Cup)

I said in pre-season that i’d like to see Ben Thornley sat infront of the back four. His distribution is excellent, and he will make time for himself on the ball.

At half past 2 today i got restless so drove over to watch Droylsden beat BPA. Brownhill, Brown, Connors, Worsnop, and Hockenhull all featured. Moseley was an unused sub. BPA’s manager appears pretty clueless!!! (and foul-mouthed too…)

Benny and Wayne were in attendance.

Forgot to mention Ben Thornley was sent-off in injury time for a 2nd yellow for dissent.!:frowning:

Their man of the match was the big ginger haired center half James Curtis, who got sent off against us last year for having a go at Tom Rutter.

They didn’t name a man of the match for Witton, but in my mind, Gary Scott was awesome.

Shame that Ben Thornley got a 2nd yellow card in the 92nd minute. He will either miss Hednesford away, or, if we are successsful on Tuesday, he will miss the next round of the FA Cup.

our fans that went 2day deserve credit, support was great considering the numbers, was a hell of a journey, and the result was great.

Very true Danny, I have great respect for those fans who travel everywhere to watch the team. I will be there on Tuesday, but I cannot do the half time raffle as my little grandson is visiting, don’t see him much, he lives in Birmingham with his Mum nad Dad. Might try to persuade his Mum to let me take him to the game, he is just over one year old so I think it is time for him to become a fully-fledged Wittoner!!
WHS.

Great result lads well done, carn’t wait for tuesday now, should be a good game but lets make sure we give the team 110% vocal backing. This is MASSIVE game for the club. Lets give it our all.

And well done to the fans who made the long trip down to support the team.

SAY WE ARE ALBION, SAY WE ARE ALBION

Just about significantly recovered from all the traumas etc + Scott Willis :laugh: of some 30 hours away to produce my report of the match.

Saturday September 27th 2008 - F.A. Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

GATESHEAD 1 WITTON ALBION 1 attendance 212

TEAM: Smith G.; Drew, Scott, Burke, Donnelly; Proffitt (Thaker h/t), Willis, Thornley B., Smith S. (Gouldbourne 79); Thompson (Settle 90) & Thornley R. Unused subs: Dunne, Skelton, Lenders & Schwarz. Albion Man of Match: Paul Donnelly.

Albion forced a deserved replay against their Conference North hosts at the vast International Stadium courtesy of a calmly despatched penalty kick from MARK DREW in the final scheduled minute of the tie awarded for hand-ball against right back Craig Baxter whom seemed totally mesmerised by Lee Thompson’s late surge.

With Drew playing in the right wing back position the fairly sizable following of Wittoners saw their team’s formation constantly changing throughout the opening period, starting 4-4-2 then 4-3-3 with a few unusual 3-4-3’s thrown in for good measure.

The first saves of the match saw both keepers called upon in the 11th minute, Greg Smith catching Wayne Philips’s attempt whilst Paul Musselwhite used his body to block Scott Willis’s shot. Five minutes later Smith then comfortably held Philips’s free-kick. On 27 minutes Musselwhite firstly dived to stop Thompson’s effort before pushing the ball away as Rod Thornley closed him down on the edge of his area. Smith then produced an equally good save from Philip Turnbull’s long range low driven shot.

In the 32nd minute Rod Thornley committed a foul but when the home side attempted to take the resultant free-kick five yards further upfield the Albion striker intervened to kick the ball back the required distance. Astonishingly Kirby Stephen referee Bernard Law showed the yellow card and when Willis added his twopennyworth he also was cautioned. Needless to say the free-kick was then taken from exactly the spot where Thornley kicked the ball to whilst the two affected players had to endure the further hour or so under additional and totally unfair pressure. Even harder to swallow for the incensed visitors was no action taken when a home player blatantly kicked the ball away shortly afterwards.

Twice in the last five minutes of the half, after Albion had defended well themselves, they were denied a lead by Musselwhite, Ben Thornley released Thompson whose angled shot forced the keeper to dive to his left to save and then blocking Rod Thornley’s shot.

Four minutes into the second period Paul Donnelly - my personal choice as Man of the Match especially when he later soldiered on carrying an injury - was on hand to spot and then clear the danger when Gateshead’s captain Kris Gate’s effort from the right looked to be breaking the deadlock. Ross Thaker, who’d replaced the disappointing Proffitt, immediately counter attacked with his 25 yard effort dipping just over the crossbar. Smith then held onto Graeme Armstrong’s headed attempt following a corner-kick.

Gary Scott, just after the hour mark, produced lovely footwork by defying two attackers before playing the ball perfectly into Willis’s path but the midfield man’s rushed attempt saw the ball well off target. Thompson was then thwarted by Musselwhite who shortly after was very alert when it appeared only he and Rod Thornley realised that Mr Law had awarded Albion a free-kick, the striker’s quickly taken kick being pushed away whilst the other 20 players and the crowd yards away remained totally mesmerised as to what offence had been committed.

In the 71st minute Gateshead took the lead, somewhat against the run of play but it was the ever dangerous Philips out on the left flank that spotted his opposite wingman JAMIE HARWOOD well positioned. Smith, at the second attempt, denied Philips a goal of his own but Albion with Thompson looking stronger and stronger and substitute Zane Gouldbourne upsetting the home team’s rhythm didn’t give up and were duly rewarded.

In stoppage time Gouldbourne combined well with Rod Thornley but the home keeper got down to save at the right post. Unfortunately Albion then were forced to play the final couple of minutes minus Ben Thornley after he received a second yellow from the highly controversial match referee who somewhat thankfully perhaps will not be officiating on Tuesday!

Great match report Mr Chadwick, when you say “recovered” are you referring to the drama of the game of Friday evening in the bar?

Awesome performance from the lads yesterday afternoon, Gateshead is a tough place to go and for the entire second half we were by far the better team. We absolutely deserved a draw and could argue we may even have done enough to win it.

It is almost inappropriate to single out any individual from what was a great ‘team’ performance, however it is worth saying that Ben Thornley was immense, he worked his socks off for 92 of the 94 played and was very unfortunate to be sent off for two yellows. Referee’s can expect (not respect) to be questioned angrily when they blatantly make wrong decisions and when they are not consistent for both sides.

Gary Scott was a rock in central defence, Greg Smith gets better and better with every performance as does Paul Donnelly. Thomo was a handful upfront and Drew despatched a perfect spot kick.

We have the makings of a very good squad of players here and the attitude from the lads was fantastic. They were very focused, very professional and full of energy (must have been the 11pm curfew on Friday night)! Off the pitch the manager and his team are creating the perfect environment for the lads to flourish in. We are a small club in many respects but that does not stop us from operating to the highest standards and being professional and organised in every department.

My only personal negative… where were you on Saturday afternoon? At times last season there were 120+ traveling to away games. Have we all been spoilt by sitting at the top of the table for 8 months last year?

A fully appreciate that crowds grow when teams are riding high, but the irony is the need for support is greater now than it was then. Less than half went to Gateshead on Saturday than have made the trip over the last couple of seasons (even night games)!

If you want this team to make progress and to challenge for honours then don’t stay away until we’re top of the table or in the third round of the FA Cup. I know there are plenty of reasons why people can’t make it but every bit of effort we put in has a positive effect on the team.

Anyone who didn’t attend on Saturday needs to make sure you are at Wincham Park in good voice at 7.45pm on Tuesday night!

A very good weekend, We gave the players the best possible preperation and that paid off, they went to bed early, trained in the morning and arrived at the ground in good time to relax and get ready and the performance reflected that preperation. Well done to all especially a couple of our sponsors who put money in the pot to allow for the overnight stop.

Another mention to Mrs Rabbit who gave a stirring speech on the Friday night and told us all what was expected of them (including the management and board). Never let it be said that the supporters of this club lack passion. (great what a couple of bottles of wine can do!):S

Lets move that passion onto Tuesday night!!! spread the word!

It’s a shame that it was only the players that went to bed early!

:wink:

Well what can you say, comfortably our best performance of the season? Especially given the circumstances? We are probably now nearing full strength and it showed I thought.

A full deserved draw - Tommo had 2 great chances and worked the keeper well. Must admit I thought we had had it but, you just never know and that penalty was rather special for the 20 or so fans who had made the trip.

Tuesday now gives us a golden opportunity if we can seize it. (£4500!) Please do everything possible if you can to be in attendance at WP on Tuesday, and show your support.

Definatly worth the trip,even though it cost a fortune,with hotel,petrol and going out think i spent £200!! Spoke to some Gateshead fans in Newcastle saturday night,they said they’re not coming to the replay even tho they usually would as they expect to get beat! Lets hope so!

My grandson is not coming up until Wednesday now, which is good in one way as I had forgotten it is open night at school so I will be lucky to make it to the game before half time at the earliest, hopefully we will be 2-0 up when I do arrive!! I will try to bring a bottle of wine with me for the Horse Racing Night. Already given one and £10 to sponsor a race but what the hell as long as the wife doesn’t find out!!!
WHS. COME ON THE ALBS.

…and I bet by the time you got home Yox you were still £2 up!!!

The_Wincham_Rabbit wrote:

Good old Jerry!!!