A History of Witton Albion FC.

Still waiting for Chad to write the definitive history of the club but you might find this interesting.
A Witton Albion lost to eventual winners Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup of 1884-85 and then to Darwin in 1887-88 and then to Aston Villa in 1888-89. They joined the Combination in 1890-91 but failed to fulfil their fixture list, then joined the Lancashire League in 1891-92.
On another football “first” the first 100,000 plus gate was at Crystal Palace in 1901 to see Tottenham Hotspur draw 2-2 with Sheffield United in the FA Cup Final. They won the replay at Bolton 3-1 to become the first (and only) non league team to win the FA Cup since the formation of the Football League in 1888.
So the question is, what year do we say we were actually formed? The club say 1887, but what about the Cup match in 1884? It seems our history may be as mixed up as Vics who keep harping on about 1874 as their founding date which is TOTALLY wrong.

WHS.

My opinion Alan is that we were formed in our current guise in 1890.

We celebrated our centenary in 1990 and all the records from the early 20th century (ie living memory) suggest a formation date of 1890 and they would know.

So 125 years next year!

The formation date of 1887 came from Vin and George’s research for ‘Sons of Albion’ but as far as I know there is no evidence of a proper team playing season in season out until 1890.

Regards the book, well maybe next Wednesday (5th Nov) my father could do with a rocket up his ar5e to get it done!

The way we’re goin it may be a completed history!

Things WILL get better. Tell your Dad if I can help with any research to let me know, I am used to reading microfilm at the library!!
I agree that 1890 looks right and that the other “Witton Albions” were not the same club, certainly not a continuation of the same club though it is nice to think we once lost to the eventual FA Cup Winners. (Not likely to happen again.)
WHS.