Albion v. Guiseley

2 up at half time, finished 4 - 0 to the Albs. Excellent! <br><br>;D ;D ;D ;D<br><br> [smiley=banane.gif] [smiley=banane.gif] [smiley=banane.gif] [smiley=banane.gif]

who was the goalscorers?

spearitt<br>pritch<br> <br>maynard<br>moseley.<br><br>

Message to Stu, forget the play offs, we CAN win the league, which is not bad for relegation candidates two weeks ago hey Jim? Why oh why are we so worried about blowing our own trumpet? we are good so let’s say so, we won’t get new people coming along to watch if we keep saying are just doing quite well. Vics are having a hell of a season, but in our own way, so are we, so let’s tell the world!!!<br>WHS<br>PS Graham, I am not made of money no matter what people may say!!!

Awesome. We definitely had the X-Factor today!<br><br>I don’t think I’ve seen a more spirited, totally-committed, TEAM performance from a Witton Albion team for many a year.<br>Third place now with three games to come against AFC Telford United. <br><br>Best wishes for Christmas to the players, team management and particularly THE FANS for a great season up to now. We need your support (and more) over the next few months to maintain this.<br><br>And don’t forget the Sportsman’s Dinner - good late Xmas present for dad, son et al. My telephone number for tickets is in the phone book or on the posters in the club or in the Guardian on Wednesday.<br><br>Graham Edgeley <br><br>

What a game, loved every minute of it! Absolutely freezing but well worth it.<br>The lads put on a cracking display and reminded me of the witton of old. Nicky Maynard was outstanding today, my man of the match and what a goal at the end. Everyone did their bit and we were solid at the back. We have every chance of doing well this season lets keep it up. :slight_smile:

just got back from a xmas party in stoke (working)<br>bin on a high all night after watching a fantastic <br>performance from witton ;D

Fantastic stuff, can’t wait to come back from uni to watch the game on boxing day!!! Shame I’m only home for 7 days though :-(<br><br>But still, third in the league!!!<br><br> [smiley=banane.gif] [smiley=banane.gif] [smiley=banane.gif]

NOW I see what the fuss was about!! Excellent victory - we were so convincing! <br><br>Roll on Boxing Day - that’s three games in a row I’ll see!!!

From the Guiseley website, the last line had me smiling the most !! <br><br><br>Witton Albion 4 GUISELEY 0 Unibond Premier<br><br>It turned out to be a bad day at the office for Guiseley when they were effectively brushed aside by a Witton side on top of their form.<br><br>With the exception of Kieron O?Brien for Danny Forrest on the bench, Guiseley manager Neil Parsley kept faith with the squad who saw off Frickley last week, but that was where the similarity ended. After fairly even opening exchanges the home side took control, and an 11th-minute free kick on the Guiseley left led to Matt Taylor having to turn a Rob Lloyd snap shot acrobatically over. It only delayed the inevitable, however, as from the corner the ball broke to centre-back Tom SPEARRITT who lived up to his name with an emphatic finish from twenty yards.<br><br>The visitors replied with a couple of neat passing moves, one of which deserved a better finish than Jez Illingworth provided, but it was Taylor who was soon in action again with two superb reaction saves, while Lee Connor somehow got in the way of another goalbound effort.<br><br>O?Brien, on for injured left-back Steve Ball, got in several telling crosses, one of which was headed wide by Simon Parke, but with Andy Lee comfortably contained by his former team mates an equalizer never looked on the cards. Taylor was three times called upon to demonstrate his class before Witton eventually doubled their lead on 34 minutes. A left-wing corner was headed back across goal by Nicky Maynard and Brian PRITCHARD rose above a static defence to power in a header.<br><br>A minute from the interval, Spearritt was booked for a foul on Lee Connor on the edge of the box but Mark Stuart?s free kick passed harmlessly wide and there was time for yet another fine stop from Taylor. The first half had seen Guiseley given a football masterclass by opponents who were strong, nippy, inventive and accurate, and the deficit could have been far worse.<br><br>The second period was less frenetic as Witton appeared to take their foot off the gas, although Liam McGuire shot narrowly wide when put through early on. Two clumsy fouls saw Illingworth join Nathan Hay in the book as the Guiseley midfield struggled for dominance. Their only real chances both fell to Dave Henry, one after a brave run, the other following good work from David Cooke, on for Lee.<br><br>At the other end Hay blocked a goalbound effort from Steve Connors and then Taylor livened things up when he lost the ball on the left touchline only to get back quickly and save well.<br><br>Sam Denton replaced Parke and it looked as though the game was drifting to a close, but Witton had other ideas. Seven minutes from the end a Maynard effort was only half-stopped by Taylor and Mike MOSELEY bundled the ball in at the second attempt. Then in stoppage time MAYNARD put the icing on the cake with a blockbuster from outside the box.<br><br>It?s hard to make excuses for Guiseley; the midfield was overrun, the attack disjointed and the defence, the magnificent Taylor excepted, unusually vulnerable to both power and subtlety. All that can be said is that they were up against a side who looked as good as anything this division has to offer and who on this form will take some stopping.<br>

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:slight_smile: A sparkling display from the team, from front to back we were excellent - Guiseley are no bad team and we made them look poor with our work rate and quality, keep it going lads .<br><br>

AWESOME PERFORMANCE, TOTALLY DOMINANT PERFORMANCE FROM THE FIRST MINUTE TO THE LAST:P

A stunning performance against a side who had previously beaten the current second placed team.<br><br>Well worth freezing to death when the lads put on a display as they did on Saturday.<br><br>As regards man of the match, I would say that it would be unfair to single out any one player as they were all outstanding.

There seems to be alot of regular comments on here about not singling out one player, how we looked strong in all departments and imo we regularly keep outplaying sides who aren’t exactly bottom of the table!<br><br>Much credit once again must go to the players and management who have for the first time since xmas 99 from my memory had us in a seriously strong position with a realistic hope of doing something this season. You don’t laugh at 3rd place when its half way through the season and this has been no fluke.<br><br>Lets hope for a good turnout on Boxing day, the team certainly deserve it.

Count me in for the Boxing Day game ;D.<br><br>Three weeks at home mid-season for once, and we play Telford home, Telford away and er, let me see, Telford!!<br><br>Nothing against Telford, but it would have been nice to have a bit of variety.<br><br>Looking forward to seeing some good football, plenty of goals, and plenty of pints (should that be points?).

Five games against Telford this season, one for Chad, is that a record for playing competitive games against one team in a season for us?

We played Winsford 8 times in 77/78. Would have been 9 but we scratched from the Floodlight League due to fixture congestion. <br><br>More recently 94/95 7 v Winsford, 92/93 6 v Macc, 95/96 5 v Bishop Auckland.<br><br>Several instances also of playing THAT OTHER LOT six and five times fairly regularly plus odd times v Leek (6), and Formby (5).