ALSAGER - FA TROPHY

Job done, prize money won, and in the hat for the next round.<br><br>We wont win many games playing like that though…<br><br>But did anyone see our new centre forward?? ?Jon Worsnop, brilliant!!

Yeh Peers was injured.<br>Lets be fair - poor performance but missing so many players we’re still though.<br>MOM - probably Kennedy says it all but ?2k better off and in the hat - satisfactory afternoon.

1st goal scorer on 49 minutes was actually Alistair Brown - so could say the Bullets went home totally BROWNED OFF after ALEX’s 80th minute 25 yard rocket.<br><br>Report to follow when I’ve had me tea and won the lottery

Witton’s first goal was scored by Alastair Brown. The second a beauty by Alex Brown.<br><br>Alsager totally Brown’d off.<br><br>Not pretty but with so many injuries - we’re through, that’s the main thing.<br><br>Peers, Hockenhull, Jones, Frost & Whalley injured; Warlow unwell; Connors & Spearritt suspended.<br><br>GE<br>

I said the signing of Kennedy was inspired and on that showing I was right, we could have easliy gone out without some of the superb saves Kennedy made when we "went to sleep" after going 1-0 up. Jon Kennedy will probaly play at a much higher standard than we can offer next season so it is vital Jim Vince keeps young Worsnip happy and with us, yes he makes mistakes but he is a good keeper who will only get better with time.<br>WHS.

Can’t believe Chad & GE make the same joke at the same time! Great minds eh…<br><br>Apologies must have been my text msg that was wrong for the 1st goal.<br><br>On a different note - bit like the FA Cup but there aren’t many premier sides left in the Trophy even at this stage and we shouldn’t take it for granted that we’ve got this far!

F.A. Carlsberg Trophy 2nd Qual ? Saturday November 4th 2006<br><br>WITTON ALBION 2 ALSAGER TOWN 0<br><br>TEAM: Kennedy: Bowler, Pritchard, Barras, Brownhill; Brown Alistair, Brown Alex (McGuire 90), Lloyd, Gahgan; Moseley, Jones G. (Worsnop 90). Subs n/u Frost, Hendricks, Peers <br><br>Match Rating THREE Man of Match Liam Brownhill (Witton) n/b Jon Kennedy<br><br>Although these two Cheshire clubs are less than 20 miles apart this was the first time they?d actually played each other. The ?Bullets? had Phil McGing, Chris Jump, Andy Parkinson and Lee Madin in their squad, who?d been at Witton in the past, together with both Joe Gibiliru and Anthony Marshall who?d had pre-seasons with us. Albion though were not only without Tom Spearritt and Steve Connors (both suspended) but had Shaun Whalley and Darren Hockenhull ruled out injured, to add to Adam Warlow, Mark Jones and Adam Foy. In addition Carl Frost and Mark Peers, who were named as substitutes, were far from 100% fit. <br>The very first attack in the opening minute saw Griff Jones?s shot just wide of the post and when Witton forced ten corners in the opening quarter of the tie it appeared a home goal wouldn?t be too long in coming. Not so, the nearest Albion came to breaking the deadlock came in the 31st minute and saw Brian Pritchard?s headed attempt following a Chris Gahgan corner cleared off the line by a combination of keeper Phil McGing and Peter Heler. The very next minute at the other end it took a spectacular flying save from Jon Kennedy to deny Joe Gibiliru?s long range attempt.<br><br>Right after the break McGing scrambled away Alex Brown?s low shot but on 49 minutes Rob Lloyd got down the left flank, pulled the ball back and his former Crewe Academy team-mate ALISTAIR BROWN pivoted before striking the ball home. Instead of giving Witton the incentive to push on and seal the tie it was Town who responded better and for a good 20 minutes took the game to Albion. Kennedy managed to scoop a Dean Stokes? pile-driver over his bar and less than 5 minutes later was thankful to Liam Brownhill who positioned himself well to get back and clear Karl Robinson?s over-head kick attempt off the goal-line. Striker Lee Madin, against his old club, fluffed his kick after finding good space and Kennedy saved comfortably.<br><br>The final 15 minutes though Witton at last got the upperhand and when at last their midfield players started firing in shots it seemed a second goal might be imminent. When it came on 80 minutes what a corker! Lloyd?s initial shot was blocked and when the ball arrived at ALEX BROWN?s feet 25 yards out he let fly with the ball flashing past McGing into the top left corner of the net. McGing then did well though to deny Brownhill in the dying minutes before Stokes shot saw Pritchard slice his clearance onto the top o the crossbar as the Bullets attempted to get something out of their very plucky afternoon?s performance.<br><br>End of the day Albion went through and looking at the rest of the Premier Division only three other teams have progressed with us, namely Gateshead, Burscough and Ilkeston.<br>

Good result. Well done chaps.<br><br>Tues night big test lets hope we can stick it up them AGAIN!!!

Have amended the goal scorers :wink:

keeping worsnop happy will be a big test, good keepers need to play at the best level they can. JK is a class keeper and will be first choice so how Jim manages the situation will be interesting, hope he can keep both happy but it will be a massive challenge.

keep him up front !!!<br><br> already a proven goal scorer <br>LOL

I have to admit to having some sympathy for Alsager yesterday, they took the game to us for long spells, and didn’t deserve to go down 2-0. Nice to see a few away fans as well.<br><br>I always feel that one sign of a good team is when you can play badly and still find a way to win - anyway, we were due a bit of luck after out-playing Farsley twice in the FA Cup. So, good result for Witton, let’s hope we can go a long way in this competition!

I would simply suggest that some of our players get greedier when it comes to goalscoring opportunities.<br>Just shoot!<br>When Alex did it was a screamer.<br>Too many times we don’t capitalise on good approach play.<br>Gaghan’s corners deep into the box are better than any short corner play.<br>Take direct shots from free kicks.<br>And in open play have a go!!<br>We’ve got the best keeper so test all the others.<br>Please.

THe Dodger is dead right, shoot on sight!!!<br>WHS

This was an excellent result considering the absence of so many players. Well done to all those who got us through. It would have been a travesty if the battle of Gateshead had also cost us our place in the next round of the trophy.<br><br>Special mention for that strike by Alex B. It was a corker. Pity we can’t get the video highlights on the web site so that all the absentees could see what they missed!

The absentees can always BUY a video…<br><br>GE<br>

I hope its only highlights(2mins) not the full 90 mins!

Yes but what an opportunity to show the quality of some of the football and goals delivered by the Albion. It would be a really great advert for our club

???From Saturdays game!!! Me and the other 200 must have missed it ???

OK OK - I admit Saturday wasn’t the best example to choose (2nd goal apart) but there must be moments from other games that would help stir up some interest?