Announcement

how about Sir Bobby Robson, Gerard Houllier or Phillip Troussier(who ever he is). Give me a ten year plan and I will get us into the champions league.

Just heard the news have to say I am a bit sad to see Peter King go he was a decent bloke and I thought spoke a lot of sense and I wish him and JD well in the future.<br><br>Of the names that have been mentioned the only one I would go for would be Jimmy Quinn that would be a positive move and if we have to pay him a bit more then so be it.<br>No way do I want Eddie Bishop, Steve Davis, Shaun Teale or Mark Gardiner anywhere near the club in fairness what have they done as a manager? three have nearly relegated Northwich and the other well do we not remember the Woodley incident!<br>I think Nigel Gleghorn is a fantastic coach but perhaps doesn’t have what it takes to be a manager.<br>Alvin McDonald did well at Vauxalls but he had a nightmare at Northwich and crippled them by putting below average players on big contracts.<br>Pritch I think is one of the best players to ever wear a Witton shirt but I am sure he will be the first to admit that he isn’t ready for the job yet. <br><br>What we need is someone with a proven track record of success, a big name with plenty of contacts and if we have to pay a bit more money to get the right man then lets do it. If it takes us untill the end of the season thats fine but lets get someone in who is going to be there for a while and build something we don’t want to be in the same position again in a years time. LETS GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME!!! and not settle for second best

The managers vacancy presumably can only be filled by someone who applies for the post - if someone is approached to fill the job it is hardly a reflection of their sincere interest in the club - or am I unduly naive?<br><br>Odds on it will be someone from this league or a lower one with ambition and hopefully a succesful recent track record. <br><br>I just hope some of the team don’t follow JD to pastures new…

Don’t wish to get into the whys and wherefores of JDs departure, I no longer go to all the games so who am I to judge.<br><br>The only thing I can say is that the list of alternatives is hardly awe inspiring, and as Mr Whalley rightly points out its to be hoped that the nucleus of the team stay with us.<br><br>Its also a very easy get out for players who are BEING PAID, to underperform and blame it on the manager.<br><br>

Probably the right thing to do by the board making a change sooner rather than later, but we are not giving any a chance to do well. The moment that they start having a bad run we sack them. If Man Utd had sacked Fergie after his first season would they be where they are today. I dont think so or for that matter Arsenal. JD is a good manager and good luck to him in whatever he does. Dont get me wrong I want Witton to win everything they can, but it will not happen in the next day weeks months or years unless someone is given the chance. For as long as I can remember Witton have had a day run of managers except Gleghorn who was given some time and results came. Oh but then again his team started losing and off he went. I just hope to God that they make the right decision and stick with them. <br><br>Come on the red & whites.

Have read a few comments on a few sites of people who are suprised at us parting company so soon in the season. All I can say is people at the club know better than them exactly how well we were doing and with what resources etc. <br><br>Personally I think it was the right choice especially with Saturday coming up, frankly I felt we stood no chance of any success in our current style/attitude of play and the players seemed to be lacking something. Changing the manaager gives us no guaruntee of success but hopefully a better chance than we had before.<br><br>As for the replacement who knows, I don’t know how attractive we are as a club to outsiders? The budget has been increased but so to with it have the demands and ambitions. IMO Benny and JD were the right appointments at the right time, unfortunatley it didn’t work out for either of them in the long run. Who knows who may apply?

Jim Davidson and Peter Kay, then we can reuse the management t-shirts and shorts we already have!!<br><br>Might bring the crowds back in anyhow!! [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif]

Sad to see them go, given the mess they inherited at the start of last season and that very respectable fifth place at the end of 2003/04, but far from surprised when even the most visibly loyal supporters have had enough…<br><br>As a personal preference I’d love to see Nigel and Eddie back in charge but it’s unlikely (unless they’re asked of course?) <br>Otherwise I can’t exactly see a queue of potential applicants forming.<br><br>Let’s learn from the past though-two conditions as far as I’m concerned…1) don’t appoint anyone just on the basis of previous playing connections with the club 2) be very sceptical of applicants from North West Counties clubs who aren’t perhaps doing as well as they might. ::slight_smile:

What a load of nonsense some of these posts are. Do you really think Jimmy Quinn would be interested in dropping 3 levels of football and seeing home crowds drop from 4000 to 200!! Apart from the fact that he would command a salary well in excess of what you could afford (?40000+) he was a league manager only days ago and he would feel totally humiliated if he thought witton were serious about him,(did he really fail that much at the Shrews!) he has far too much respect for himself to even consider the witton job and frankly as an ex International professional footballer the thought of it is absurd. It is equivalent to Dave Jones(ex Wolves) being considereed for the Vics job if Steve Burr had been dismissed. Of course Vics fans have far more sense,are realistic and too respectful to even suggest such nonsense. The trouble with witton is that some of your supporters cannot accept that your a small non -league club who for the last 3 seasons have average gates of 275,261,284. This seasons average is 265 and unlikely to increase as are gates next season as admission rates rise each year. The bottom line is that you are nowhere near as attractive as you think and it’s time you faced reality and stopped living in a world of fantasy.

Jimmy probably wouldn’t be interested but we all like a challenge don’t we!<br>And he must have an genuine love for football to be turning out for nwcl sides again and on a Sunday morning at Moss Farm - even when being a league manager!<br>Can’t see it myself but stranger things have happened.

I only actually mentioned JQ as a laugh. What about millionaire Ray Ranson making a return?

What about Nige Deeley ? [smiley=dunno.gif]

For the record, Jimmy Quinn is currently playing for Nantwich Town, perhaps he’s no longer interested in the managment side of football.

… and would he want to drop down from Nantwich to Witton?

According to the guardian MW thinks witton is a big club for ambitious people!!! He clearly has no knowledge of football and is ingorant to the situation. witton have been outside the top 90 non- league clubs for over 8 years - even the soccer novices are aware of that, the league positions have confirmed it and still do currently. For those who disgaree then 66 Conf/n/s clubs + 3 feeder leagues x top 8 = 90. Maybe he’s that ambitious he will make himself team manager permanently!!!

And yet, Observer…and yet…<br><br>We are still one of the most well known and respected ‘names’ in northern non-league football, regardless of the poor-ish league level we have been playing at for several years.<br><br>No, I’m not living in the past. It takes a very long time for a club to lose its ‘name’ and we certainly haven’t lost ours yet.<br><br>I just looked at the top few teams in the Conference North table right now and I didn’t see any team there, possibly with the exception of Kettering, that is as well known a ‘name’ in non-league football as Witton Albion.<br>

You’ll find that Simon Hughes gets the job. Good appointment IMO.

[quote]And yet, Observer…and yet…

We are still one of the most well known and respected ‘names’ in northern non-league football, regardless of the poor-ish league level we have been playing at for several years.

No, I’m not living in the past. It takes a very long time for a club to lose its ‘name’ and we certainly haven’t lost ours yet.

I just looked at the top few teams in the Conference North table right now and I didn’t see any team there, possibly with the exception of Kettering, that is as well known a ‘name’ in non-league football as Witton Albion.
[/quote]<br><br><br>You my friend are indicative of the witton chairman and witton supporters!! Your head is up your own backside if you believe witton are a well known name in non- league football. As for the Conference north league and the exception of Kettering!! what about Southport,Alty,Worksop,Worcester,Hinckley,Nuneaton,Stafford,Runcorn,Gainsboro,Barrow,Stalybridge,Lancaster!!All these clubs are much bigger names and clubs than witton and you are showing complete ignorance if you think otherwise. As for your own league then Matlock,Spennymoor,Blythe,Marine,Bishop A,Workington,Leek,Gateshead,Hyde and Guiseley are all bigger names than witton not to mention a few in the league below – Telford for eg.<br>witton fans are so insular minded, it is almost embarrasing to read some of the pathetic posts on this site, if you believe witton are still a big club then you must still believe in Father Christmas!!!

Guiseley, Spennymoor and some of those teams are you joking?

No I’m not!! Once again you show what a little world you live in. Spenymooor Utd are a big name in the North East, non league wise - far bigger than witton – ask any Geordie and he/she will confirm. I also did’nt mention any of the Nationwide south clubs or southern or Ryman league clubs - many of which are far better known than witton. My guess is that you’d just scrape in the top 100 nationally – now think about what you post in future!!!