Ashton United v Witton Albion

Witton team<br><br>Walker, Hockenhull, Brownhill, Pritchard, Spearritt, Whalley. Connors, Mark Jones, Moseley, Whittaker, Peers.<br><br>Subs: McGuire, Hurst, Bailey.

Latest Score: ASHTON UNITED 0 WITTON ALBION 1.<br><br>Dave Whittaker.

Half Time Score: ASHTON UNITED 0 WITTON ALBION 1.

Latest Score: ASHTON UNITED 0 WITTON ALBION 2.<br><br>Shaun Whalley from an excellent Mark Peers cross.

Final Score: ASHTON UNITED 0 WITTON ALBION 2.

Great result in bad conditions played very well battled hard.<br>Steve Conners battled his heart out and excellent creativity from peers, also pleasing to see Dave get on the scoresheet.<br>3 more points!

Hardly a classic but some decent individual performances in awful conditions - its April for gods sake and I had my woolly hat on!<br><br>Walker hardly had a save to make and it was probably a fair result. <br><br>gained a bit of ground on Ferriby, we have it all to do but our goal difference has suddenly soared past theirs aswell.<br><br>All eyes tuesday… [smiley=banane.gif]

Well done Jim and the lads in appalling conditions.<br>Brett might not have had much to do but he made a superb full length save at 1-0.<br>The ref seemed to polarise opinions, their keeper and I were obviously watching two different games from the same end of the pitch!<br>Fantastic cross from Mark Peers for the second goal.<br>Roll on Tuesday, can’t be there so good luck to everyone and keep the run going.

For anyone who can’t make it to Ilkeston on Tuesday night, I will update the website as normal if and when something happens.

I’ll get the texts to you derek - just don’t expect the starting line up too early it’ll be touch n go making it for kick off!<br>Ferriby have a couple of tough games this week… [smiley=applause_smiley.gif]

I just want to say a big thanks to wheels and neil who get the scores as and when they happen as it is difficult to find out how the reds are doing!

I can echo that. Please keep the updates coming. <br><br>Ilkeston away will be tough but hopefully confidence is high. If we win all our games and Ferriby slip up, who knows.<br><br>Kinda reflects the Premiership? :wink:

For someone like me these updates are marvellous and I know my lad in Birmingham really appreciates them too.<br>WHS

Taken fro the Ashton Website…<br><br><br>Ashton were looking for the win that would virtually guarantee their place in the premier division for next season, but it was Witton who came out on top in a match that was played out in terrible conditions. <br><br>Heavy rain in the days leading up to this fixture had left the pitch saturated and the surface cut up badly as the game progressed making it difficult for either side to play football. In the final analysis it was the visitors who adapted better and showed greater desire to run out worthy winners.<br><br>The home side almost took an early lead. Ciaran Kilheeney?s shot was deflected behind off Witton captain Brian Pritchard and Danny White?s powerful header from Steve Smith?s corner was heading for the net before it struck the back of Tom Spearritt?s head and rebounded to safety.<br><br>It wasn?t long before a goal did arrive, but it was the visitors who took the lead in the eleventh minute. Dave Whittaker ran on to a through ball that dissected the United defence and struck a fine first-time shot past the helpless Ashley Connor.<br><br>Ashton pushed forward looking for an equalizer and James Riordan made light of the heavy conditions to beat two defenders before playing in a fine cross, but the Albion defence cleared the danger. Steve Smith might have done better when the ball fell to him form a corner, but the Ashton man hit his shot into the ground and Brett Walker was able to make an easy save. <br><br>Steve Connors almost profited from a mis-hit clearance from Connor, but the Ashton keeper recovered to catch the long-range shot on his line. Whittaker came close to scoring a second goal with a neat shot on the turn that curled just wide of the upright.<br><br>The home side were forced into a defensive reshuffle when left-back Kirk Hilton was the victim of a nasty tackle that forced him to limp out of the game.<br><br>On the stroke of half-time Whittaker had another chance to double the lead, but he headed wide.<br><br>At the start of the second-half Ashton pressed forward and Terry Bowker?s free-kick was deflected just wide of the post. Ten minutes in Witton struck a decisive blow when Shaun Whalley got on the end of a right-wing cross to score with a firm header.<br><br>The closest Ashton came to hitting back was a header from Andreas Bjork that almost crept inside the post, but Walker got down to turn the ball round the post.<br><br>Both sides used their full quota of substitutions as the heavy pitch took its toll. In the closing stages the match threatened to boil over as Ashton became frustrated, both by their inability to break down the visitors? defence and some inconsistent refereeing. <br><br>Mark Peers came close to adding a third goal with a shot from distance, but Connor made a fine save to stop the ball finding the top corner…<br>