Chris Nicholl

It has been announced that one of Witton Albion’s greatest players Chris Nicholl has sadly passed away at the age of 77.

Chris featured for Witton in a team playing alongside the late Ken Barnes and former Burnley, Fulham, Portsmouth and Hereford goalkeeper Peter Mellor in the 1960s/70s.

He went on to play for Halifax Town, Luton Town, Aston Villa, Southampton & Grimsby Town and also internationally for Northern Ireland.

After playing he had a spell in management at Southampton & Walsall, Grimsby Town as assistant manager and also internationally with Northern Ireland.

He had spent the past few years suffering from Dementia and was living in a Care Home in the Midlands before moving to live with his daughter in Southampton.

RIP Chris.

The BEST No.5 Witton have EVER had.
I had the pleasure of meeting Chris in his management days at Walsall FC & had very fond memories of playing at the Central Ground.
GE

Sad news. I remember Alan Shearer talking on tv a couple of years ago about how Chris was a huge influence on him at the beginning of his career when he was at Southampton.

I watched that documentary on YouTube last night.

Very sad news. A great player who was pivotal in the best Witton teams I have ever seen. A true Witton legend.