Congleton vs Witton Albion

Big improvement today with a 2-1 win. 2 cracking goals from 25yrds by Willis and full-back Donelly. Impressed with Steve Smith ( ex Warrington ) 2nd half and also when big Zane from Goulborne went up front we looked more threatening. No Pritch today ( slight injury ) but the defence looked soild especially Gary Scott.

Keep the faith - we will be alright come the 16th.

Just got back from Bear country and as noticed no-one was available to give team details etc today then the starting line-up read:-

Greg Smith
Paul Donnelly
Gary Scott
Danny Swartz
Liam Coyne
Scott Willis
Ben Thornley
Mark Drew
Ben Wharton (ex Rochdale)
Rod Thornley
Chris Gahgan

Subs at half-time

James Coates (ex Burton Albion & Moor Green) for Smith in goal.
Steve Smith for Scott Willis
Steve Settle for Ben Thornley

On hour mark
Ross Thacker for Settle (stubbed his foot)
Zane Goulbourne for Drew ( had a good hour after not playing since Alsager match)
Scott Willis back on for(a disappointing) Wharton

In the first half far too much physical play especially involving birthday boy Rod Thornley on his return to Congleton.
Smith pulled off a great save to keep out former Albion player Stuart Tulloch.
Town took the lead when a promising move broke down in their penalty area, the ball quickly being despatched up the right flank with a good cross and ensuing header.

Settle appeared to be the player that was going to change events but he only got to play 15 minutes. However his replacement Ross Thacker really stamped his mark from the off. Very tricky and at times flamboyant his second touch of the ball saw him pick out Scott Willis who had just had 15 minutes rest and he fairly wellied the ball home from 20 yards.

His strike though was soon bettered when Paul Donnelly picked up the ball, following a cleared corner that Thacker had earned, 35 yards out to smash into the top right corner.

Right at the start of the half sub keeper Jamie Coates performed extremely well following an errant backpass from Donnelly to twice deny Town a two goal lead.

Very disappointed in Wharton who was part of Rochdale’s 1st team squad last season. He appeared to be one paced and scorned a good chance to equalise. The raw Zane Goulbourne again showed that he could upset defences and I think would be a good acquisition.

sounds like this jamie coates could be more suited 2 the number 1 jersey, hey?

Apparently he is an Altrincham asset signed from Forest Green ?

Great match to watch yesterday full of positives i thought.

Scott Willis what can i say…he was worth the £5 admission on his own, he is funny as f*** and had us in stitches! not a bad player aswell and scored a great goal.
Steve Settle changed the game in the 15 mins or so he was on he looks like a quality signing…also Mark Drew aint scared of putting a tackle in (maybe something we missed last season)
That guy Ben Wharton was terrible but unfair to judge on one performance i guess…also the Thornley brothers lacked a bit of fitness imo but hopefully that will come…
I agree that Thacker and Golbourne were 2 postive changes, Thacker was very impressive.

2 weeks to go and team starting to take shape, tis all good!