Leek Town News

Saw the following ramblings in the weekly Leek Town news…

[i]Next Saturday near neighbours Witton Albion, who are currently topping the UniBond Premier Division, are the visitors to Harrison Park.

Club secretary Brian Wain asked the visitors to agree to the kick off time being brought forward to 1.00pm so that everybody could then watch the England match live on the big screen after the game.

Unfortunately, Witton refused our request and so the club has lost some valuable revenue as well as the chance to see the European qualifier.

Witton also turned down a switch to Friday night or Sunday.

The Witton squad arrives at Harrison Park next week with several former Leek players in their squad.

Striker Dorryl Proffitt and midfielder Alex Brown both moved to Wincham Park from Leek but Brown will take no part due to a knee injury whilst Proffitt is enjoying a stay of execution after manager Jim Vince had a change of heart over his release.

In addition, striker Rod Thornley and defender Cavel Coo both signed for Witton from Leek a few weeks ago.

Meanwhile, three other former Leek players have recently moved back to Harrison Park after struggling to hold down regular places at Witton. They include Carl Frost, Dave Tickle and Anthony Danylyk.[/i]

In all honesty why should we change the game purely on the basis that Leek want a full bar for the England game? At this level where many of the lads have day jobs then playing on a Friday night would be crazy (not least as their club would be empty on the Saturday afternoon)!!! Players like Pritch are a prime example of those who have to combine their career with fixture schedules. We also have a game on the following Tuesday evening so the same goes for playing on a Sunday!

Their home crowds have been pretty reasonable this season and by the time the witton away crowd turn up they should get a half decent gate!

So the 3 that they signed include Frost, Tickle, and Danylyk. So who are the other zero players that make up the 3 then?! ::slight_smile:

In fairness Robbo there are three names there but probably only one ‘player’ amongst them!

:wink:

I disagree, Friday night would have been a good shout. We’d have taken a bigger following and our supporters could have watched the England game.

We had some of our best gates and atmospheres a few seasons ago when we played games on a Friday night.

Its ridiculous that Leek away is on a Saturday anyway, given that its one of the nearest places we go to, as for the fact that our players have got day jobs - How does that stack up when they play/train most Tuesday nights?

I wouldn’t of been able to go on Friday night.

But yes, it should of been a Tuesday night game really. I would of preferred to go Fleetwood on a Saturday!!