Old football photographs

This has no direct relevance to Witton, but I wonder if any Wittoners could help? I’ve come across some old photos of local teams from the late 1940s / early 1950s and would like help identifying the players, teams and occasions. Here is one of the photos, which I know is a Weaverham School team from 1948. I think it’s possible that this was taken at the Central Ground, but I’m not sure.

http://EXAMPLE.com/media/kunena/attachments/62/WeaverhamSchoolFootball1948.png

There are a few more photos in the forum at www.mid-cheshire.co.uk. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Mike

Definitely the Central Ground the dates on the board are the same as in “Sons of Albion”

Have identified the photos of the two teams at the Drill Field. They are taken on May 13th 1950 and are from the end of season Witton & Vics v Harry Wares X1. the goalie in the top one is Bert Trautman with Joe Mercer sat in front. Albion’s players were Alf Ashley, Jack Robinson, Stuart Cowden, Frank Fidler, Jack Bowden, Albert Johnson & Eric Hyde.

If you could fire them all off to me or bring them down I’ll have a go at identifying what I can.

Cheers Phil, you’re a star as usual!

I had an inkling it might be the Drill Field, but I showed it to my uncle, who was a big Northwicher, and he didn’t think so. I also had a feeling that the 'keeper was Bert Trautman, don’t know how as he was well before my time.