Prescot Cables vs Witton Albion

Get in there! Come on lads, still time for a winner.

Come on witton… wooh! ;D

The beeb website, says its full time (1-1). If so, well done lads, good result.

Full Time Score: PRESCOT CABLES 1 WITTON ALBION 1.

A hard earned point in conditions that wouldn’t have suited our style of play.

We almost won it near the end, hitting the woodwork.

well done boys i presume its another point gained on telford which is a plus point! We can still do this! Come on Witton!

Up to 4th in the league now above Guiseley our opponents on Saturday, on goal difference with four games in hand. Incidentally, those 4 games that Guiseley have played more than us, have all resulted in defeats.

Marine host Matlock Town on Saturday, whilst Hednesford Town play Radcliffe Borough. Leaders AFC Telford United are not in action.

UniBond Premier Division Tuesday February 13th 2007

PRESCOT CABLES 1 WITTON ALBION 1 att 296

TEAM: Kennedy; Spearritt, Pritchard, Barras, Brownhill; Peers (Clegg 86), Lloyd, Brown, Connors ; Moseley (Warlow 60), Jones G. sub n/u Hockenhull

The teams took the field at Valerie Park with puddles already in evidence on the pitch. Albion, in the opening half, took advantage of the wind and rain behind them and attacked at fairly regular intervals. The first serious attempt on goal came in the 7th minute and it was a Liam Brownhill shot wide of the left post following good approach work passes by Brian Pritchard and Steve Connors. Connors himself was next up in the 12th minute when he drove his shot wide. On 19 minutes Jon Kennedy was called into action for the first time when he blocked a strong shot from Dean Thurston. Play quickly moved upfield and Ryan McMahon then saved Mike Moseley?s drive with his legs.

Former Albion favourite John Stannard seemed to be relishing the occasion and on the half-hour mark went past defenders before laying the ball off to Stephen Johnson and when he shot powerfully Kennedy could only parry the ball, it went right on the head of Steve McEwan but from point blank range he headed over the unattended goal, much to Albion and their 100+ following?s relieve! Mark Peers seemed to be enjoying his first start for two months with several good runs into the penalty area and a minute before the break he also saw his shot blocked.

Playing into the wind in the second period saw Albion still have a lot of possession but unable to really test McMahon. When Cables assistant manager and danger man Karl Connolly barged into Kennedy on 62 minutes he was shown a second yellow card and it appeared then that Witton would press home their advantage. Claims for a clear handball were waived aside two minutes later whilst several attempts, notably from Brownhill, Rob Lloyd and Connors were all just off target and then against the odds Cables took the lead in the 74th minute. Substitute Steve O?Hara collected the ball wide on the left, ran into the area before sending a powerful shot that beat Kennedy and went into the net off the inside of the crossbar.

Warlow saw his headed attempt easily gathered by McMahon as Albion immediately went in search of the equaliser. On 81 minutes the scores were level, Peers linked with the overlapping Tom Spearritt, the skipper pulled the ball back across the face of goal and there rising highest was STEVE CONNORS to head past McMahon. The overly fussy referee spoiled the party somewhat by deciding his run to the fans massed behind the goal warranted a caution!

Warlow was desperately unlucky in the 86th minute when his rasping shot, unlike O?Hara?s struck the underside of the bar, bounced down and was eventually saved as three defenders and the keeper appeared to be performing a rain dance in their attempts to hack away at the sphere. Still Albion went looking for the vital winner and when Ross Clegg?s cross was only cleared to Lloyd he produced a clever lob that just scraped over the bar. A Connors cross then saw Griff Jones narrowly fail to make contact as he slid in. Brownhill again went close in stoppage time before Clegg sent a wicked low cross in that took the slightest deflection off a defender for a corner as Jones waited to convert by the far post.

Given the conditions and the home form of Cables then this was a good point as the Albion moved into 4th spot still with several games in hand on all the top three.

dreadful night, dreadful pitch but a performance from our team that deserved more than one point. If there was ever any doubts that we could battle as well as play good football, those were dispelled last night. Good football was nigh on impossible, but we still showed enough to outplay cables for most of the game.

The last 15 minutes were especially nerve tingling as we threw everything at cables to get the winner we really deserved - but overall another point in the bag so onwards and upwards.

See you at Guiseley!!

Overall I was pleased that we managed to get a draw.
We battled well to get the equaliser, which I at first thought Connors had missed.
The pitch was awful and did not suit the lads style of play at all, but it was still a bit disappointing we didn’t get all three points with the amount of times we came close towards the end.
Still, it was a point gained on Telford, and with them not playing at the weekend it is a must win game for us.

Up the Albion!!

Well done last night boys, definately a point earned in very difficult condition, we were worthy of the 3 points without a doubt.
Playing against a team that rarely tried to play football instead opting for the ‘anywhere will do’ tactic and the tamewasting both by their players and managers was shameful.

Witton passed the ball about well on a very difficult pitch and prescot were very lucky to get the draw.

value for money yet again witton,

Onwards and upwards see you at Guiseley…

Shame to say it, but our downfall is that we only know 1 way of playing. I thought Prescot were as bad as anything i have seen this season. Had it been foggy rather than wet i’m sure we would of thrashed them!!

Well earned point in the end, and i’ll take it. We need at least 4 from the next 2 games now though to keep the momentum going.

I thought Connors was outstanding again last night. Was good to see Peers back in action aswell. Clegg looked useful when he came on also. I think in conditions like this we may need to sacrifice either Lloyd or Brown in the middle and play Clegg in there.

We’re still going up though, and that’s all that counts!!

Have to agree with you to a certain extent Robbo. I have no problem with our effort and determination and our football ability is without doubt the best in the league. However sometimes it’s not about how much quality football you play but how you adapt to the conditions and the awfull pitches we have to play on in this league. Without a doubt Prescot is a place we don’t like playing at and we could so easily have won last night had our luck been in and had we not been caught out of position for their goal. We must however consider the way we play in some of these games and try and get the ball forward a little quicker and ensure we don’t get sucked in too far forward. We also perhaps need to consider making late runs into space as a lot of the time we play balls into feet. Don’t want to be over critical of a team giving their all and playing well I just hope these are constructive points.