Question for Chad (senior!)

http://EXAMPLE.com/media/kunena/attachments/859/13938616_1069177053158880_8687090660333458386_n.jpg

The above season 1988/89 I think so probably 3 or 4 years after I started supporting the Albs. A certain Mr Bishop top left and I saw Higgy (bottom right) at the Stalybridge game.

Happy days. UTA

ah yes the days when the keepers jerseys had hoods lol UTA

Is that Nige Deeley front row, second left?

Back Row - John Bishop, Mike Whitlow, Trevor Brissett, Robin Simpson, Mick Kilduff, Tony Jarvis, Mick Fagan, Stan Allan.

Front Row - John Davison, Nigel Deeley, Graham Ford, Dave Esser, Paul Cross & Paul Higginbotham.

Sadly, Trevor Bissett is no longer with us & Graham Ford lives in USA.

Didn’t realise that about Trevor very sad news , remember him fondly as a good full back.
If I remember rightly was this the season we beat Yeovil in the trophy. Best game I watched at the Central Ground

Not sure if its Nige or one of the Chuckle brothers! :lol:

Luther as he was affectionately known, passed away in May 2010 aged 49 from Cancer. He had been assistant manager to Glyn Chamberlain at Congleton.

Hi Paul, catching up with events from 1,000 miles away and able to add to what some fab wittoners have posted.

Mike joined from macc debuted 17/11/84 at Hyde. He replaced Ian senior and went on to make 99 appearances, 26 clean sheets before going to congleton after his final match at home to Caernarfon 28/10/86.

He had NPL X1 representative honours and was succeeded by Steve skupski who had played a few times previously most notably the lancs floodlit final win at preston
on pens v Chorley.

UTA

We are way off the subject! And this time it was not down to me!!
WHS.

???

The original question was about what his first game was.
WHS.

[quote=“CHAD” post=66471]Hi Paul, catching up with events from 1,000 miles away and able to add to what some fab wittoners have posted.

Mike joined from macc debuted 17/11/84 at Hyde. He replaced Ian senior and went on to make 99 appearances, 26 clean sheets before going to congleton after his final match at home to Caernarfon 28/10/86.

He had NPL X1 representative honours and was succeeded by Steve skupski who had played a few times previously most notably the lancs floodlit final win at preston
on pens v Chorley.

UTA[/quote]

Fantastic stuff, thanks very much Phil. Going on this information my first game must have been during November/December 1984 or in 1985 before the end of that season. I shall raid the museum at the next home game to see if there are any programmes knocking about from that period.

I remember Steve Skupski and went to the Lancs floodlit final at Preston, I do have a picture somewhere of the team holding the trophy aloft. If I remember correctly Malcom “Waggy” Wagstaff was the star man on the night. What a good player he was too.

Thanks again mate and see you soon! UTA

did peter henderson score 7 in a game,if so what team and year.not sure if it was middlewich or radcliffe.

Yes, he scored seven when we beat Radcliffe 11 - 0 at the Central Ground. Think that ws the same season that we beat Nantwich, above us in the table at the time, 9 - 1 at home.

Before I got involved with Witton, I spent 7 years helping run Sunday football teams. I was lucky enough to see one of the teams reach the Cheshire Suday Cup Final on a couple of occasions,but the one team that stopped us winning it, was a team from Birkenhead called “Avenue” or “Avenue Victoria Lodge”. They had a keeper called Skupski, better known as “Spitter Skupski”. Was he the same player?

Try the library, they have the Guardian and Chronicle all on microfilm, easy enough to use and a librarian will help if you ask.
WHS.

didnt we also beat Middlewich 9-0 in that run of wins ?

Jeff, the Steve Skupski who played in the Cheshire Sunday Cup wining sides was definitely the same one who played for us. One of the finals he played in was at the Drill Field and he scored one of the goals Pat Jennings style. Not sure if that was against your team.

so did russ hooton have two or more spells with us then