Question for Chad (senior!)

Hi Phil I’m trying to establish the year when I started watching the albs. I don’t recall who we were playing or even what year it was but it would have been mid 80’s I think and of course at the famous and much missed Central Ground. The main memory I do have is that Mike Sherlock was in goal for us do you (or any other Wittoners?) have any record of him playing for us? Having researched it a bit Sherlock seems to have played for Mossley and was a cult hero at Macc Town, in addition to his time with us. Any info appreciated! Thanks, Paul

Mike Sherlock definitely played for us around 84-85, before that it was Bob Fletcher and Barry Alcock. If my memory serves me right we also had a keeper called Drew Brand around that time. Barry Alcock was the best keeper I’ve seen in Witton colours

Thanks mate 84-85 sounds about right as I don’t recall seeing Fletcher or Alcock. I think the memory with Sherlock lives with me because (apart from being a great keeper) he didn’t wear gloves and that wasn’t unusual at the time! Him and Keith Mason are the best keepers I’ve seen for us.

We have had some great keeps over the years, my top picks and I might have forgotten one ? in no particular order:
Pete Mellor
Bob Fletcher
Keith Mason
Barry Allcock

And I reckon our current keeper could join that esteemed list in time. UTA

ps Paul if you visit the museum you may well find a programme from that era to jog your memory.

My first Witton game was around the same time, I recall Mike Sherlock, Russ Hooton, Mike Killduff, Neil Parsley. Whitlow, Terry Farrell. Paul Cross.
I think Les Sutton was fired shortly before my first game and although my memory isn’t great i can remember the bearded John Rogers being appointed Manager.
Ah the good old days at the Central Ground, the Berties pies always tasted better up there and just a 2 minute stagger from the Cock after a few pre match pints

Don’t forget Flip Flop’s dad - Fred Carter.

when i started watching the albs fitzy was our keeper.

Fitz was bonkers, he ended up badly injured cause he Dived through a pub window and cut all his hands and arm to bits, we went over to see him at home afterwards great keeper but mad as a box of frogs. LOL

Do you remember Ally Anderson CJ, I think he was in goal between Sherlock and Robin Simpson. Someone told me he was American but not sure if that is true. I also remember Alan Zelem and Derek Fortune in goal during that period.

[quote=“Matt Cat” post=66432]My first Witton game was around the same time, I recall Mike Sherlock, Russ Hooton, Mike Killduff, Neil Parsley. Whitlow, Terry Farrell. Paul Cross.
I think Les Sutton was fired shortly before my first game and although my memory isn’t great i can remember the bearded John Rogers being appointed Manager.
Ah the good old days at the Central Ground, the Berties pies always tasted better up there and just a 2 minute stagger from the Cock after a few pre match pints[/quote]

Deffo the same time Matt. From that era I also remember Gary Boyle, Dave Esser, Steve Skeetes, Mike Fagan and John Mcmahon (Steve’s brother) amongst others. We also had a centre back that played alongside Killer and did massive thrown ins (Bradburn, Bradley?). Who was the manager before Stan Allan?

[quote=“Paul S” post=66439][quote=“Matt Cat” post=66432]My first Witton game was around the same time, I recall Mike Sherlock, Russ Hooton, Mike Killduff, Neil Parsley. Whitlow, Terry Farrell. Paul Cross.
Ah the good old days at the Central Ground, the Berties pies always tasted better up there and just a 2 minute stagger from the Cock after a few pre match pints[/quote]

Deffo the same time Matt. From that era I also remember Gary Boyle, Dave Esser, Steve Skeetes, Mike Fagan and John Mcmahon (Steve’s brother) amongst others. We also had a centre back that played alongside Killer and did massive thrown ins (Bradburn, Bradley?). Who was the manager before Stan Allan?[/quote]

Derek Brownbill?

Ally Anderson was American. The first keeper I saw play for Witton was Peter Mellor but we’ve had a number of good ones since. Ian Senior, Les Aston, Bob Tonge, Barry Alcock, Dean Greygoose & one of my favourites was Bob Fletcher.

The player with the long throw was Noel Bradley.

Terry Murphy was manager before Stan Allan. I also remember a keeper we had in the 70s called Parkinson (Brian?) who was superb.

[quote=“V.M.M.P” post=66440][quote=“Paul S” post=66439][quote=“Matt Cat” post=66432]My first Witton game was around the same time, I recall Mike Sherlock, Russ Hooton, Mike Killduff, Neil Parsley. Whitlow, Terry Farrell. Paul Cross.

Deffo the same time Matt. From that era I also remember Gary Boyle, Dave Esser, Steve Skeetes, Mike Fagan and John Mcmahon (Steve’s brother) amongst others. We also had a centre back that played alongside Killer and did massive thrown ins (Bradburn, Bradley?). Who was the manager before Stan Allan?[/quote]

Derek Brownbill?[/quote]

I do recall Brownbill playing for us but as Wheels says it was Noel Bradley with the massive throw ins.

did russ hooton have 2 spells at witton then

Matt, the library have copies of the local press on microfilm so you can browse through to find what you need. I use it all the time.
WHS.

Brian Parkinson played in the USA but I don’t think he was American.

We’ve certainly had some superb 'keepers over the years. Tough choice but I would go for Bobby Fletcher as the best of a very good bunch.

Was he manager at some point?

No Paul , you’re thinking of Russ Perkins,

The keeper I properly remember at the CG was Robin Simpson. I just remember standing behind the goals during warm-up him taking crosses from both sides. There was also a strong smell of albas oil wafting around which you don’t get nowadays.