"ALBION GREATS" Programme Feature

i put a thread on here a while ago saying just this but to reiterate matt staley is working as matchday steward at the alex( along with myself) and paul bennett was last i heared coaching young kids at the alex centre in shavington my lad being one of them.

Chris Nicol (our most famous "son"?) and Pete Henderson for me!<br><br>Denis Violet and Peter Barnes would also be interesting - I hear they were both pretty good before and after they played for us (respectively)

sorry, should be Dennis!

Frank Fidler is one of the greats<br>Jim Powell has had a phone call to say Frank is coming up to Wincham park on Saturday 12th September and Jim is trying to arrange for some of his old team mates to be there.<br>It would be nice to have him in the programme for that day<br>We are at home to Ashton United on the day

Interesting site:<br><br>http://www.mu-fc.net/witton%20albion.html&lt;br&gt;

I actually ended up visiting that site last week!<br><br>We were delivering to a site on Dennis Violet Way in Stoke. Its just off Sir Stanley Mathews Way.<br><br>I wondered then whether it would be possible to name the road that leads up to Wincham Park after an Albion great, player or official?<br>

Might be worth waiting till the next move!!!

when frank fidler comes and if we can get any former teammates as well maybe they can be announced at halftime and paraded as former heroes of the club.

Dave Griffiths is workin for Wigan Metro on landscaping I saw him a few weeks ago, donnt know how good a player he was but he was involved with me in junior football in the area some years ago. It was only speaking about Brett did he say hehad a good few years at Witton. Full back i think he said…

Dave griffiths was a great fullback one of the best weve had, cultured and attacking one of my favourite players at the time.

Another ex- Witton full back springs to mind in Mark Fielding.<br><br>Mark had a reputation for being something of a hard man but off the field, he was one of the nicest lads you could wish to meet.

I find it strange that no one has mentioned Brian Pritchard or Mike Moseley, is it because they are still playing?<br>WHS.

Fielding and Griffiths fullbacks of high quality [smiley=applause_smiley.gif]<br><br>What about Davey and Lambert as well [smiley=banane.gif]<br><br><br>Good god we have had some good players over the years

Surely Nigel Gleghorn would be in there somewhere?<br><br>Hope you’ve put plenty of time aside Chad!

Steve Crompton!!!

To keep this thread sane, surprised no-ones come up with the likes of<br><br>Malcolm Wagstaffe, Keith Higgins, Joe Dale, Alf Ashley & Chalkie White - so there’s 5 from me.<br><br>Reckon I’m well into next season with the names to date but please - apart from V ?;D- keep them coming

Bob Fletcher, Peter Henderson? :slight_smile:

On a serious note what about Keith Mason? Surely he deserves a mention.

Sadly Terry Dunn passed away a little while ago, but Queenie is still with us at the Nursing home at Lostock. I visit her now and then and she is still in good heart and still a wholehearted Wittoner. After the crap that passed as football during the World Cup I do hope that Witton revitalise my interest in football, it strikes me that what with the bribery scandal in Italy and the massive wages demanded by mediocre footballers the world over the game has lost its way. Local lads may not be as good as imports, but they play for the love of the Club, not for the love of money. <br>See you when the season starts. <br>PS, Graham, sorry I did not send the cheque for the sponsorship thing but I will continue to sponsor the Medical Centre.<br>WHS

The First player to be featured, in Tuesday’s programme is, TREVOR OGDEN.<br><br>Saturday’s issue will feature KEN BARNES<br><br>Worth ?1.50 of anyones money just to be able to purr over eh?