Reserves just lose out but Youth Team win

I’ll have a report of the top of the league match in due course but just for now the score was Albion 1 Town 2. 1-0 up at half-time through Andy Hurst. Fabulous gate though, would have put most of the North West Counties league and a good few UniBond clubs to shame.<br><br>Good news thoough was that Knutsford only drew so we’re still 5 points ahead of them with just 4 matches each left. Could be some more silverware coming to the GMB.<br><br>Youth team had a fine 4-0 win over Crosfields to keep them in the top five. I look forward to reading Mark’s expected posting in due course <br>

MID-CHESHIRE LEAGUE DIV 1 ? 25/3/2006<br><br>WITTON ALBION RESERVES 1 MIDDLEWICH TOWN 2<br><br>This battle at the top of the league attracted a crowd approaching three figures but the overall standard of football served up fell short of what many expected from the players. The wind and rain plus a very soft playing surface didn?t help but far too many long balls failed to reach their intended recipients. <br><br>Middlewich had a penalty claim waived away for an alleged handball less than two minutes into the match as they took the game to an Albion side, surprisingly not strengthened by any of that day?s 1st team squad who, with their match at Gateshead called off chose only to train instead. Gradually Witton got themselves going and very nearly took the lead in the 18th minute. An in swinging free-kick was misjudged by keeper Kevin Whitehead ? one of five ex Witton players in Terry Murphy?s line-up ? and his clearance only travelled a few feet before being whipped back in requiring the back peddling custodian to kick the ball off his goal-line. Three minutes before the interval his counterpart, Brett Walker superbly dived to his left to push a deflected shot out for a corner. His save was more than rewarded just two minutes later when ANDY HURST, from wide on the right, cut in a few steps before unleashing a shot that took a deflection on its way to the target, to take his recent goal tally to 9 from his last nine matches with strikes in his last five games. <br><br>Town came out again in purposeful mode for the 2nd half and got their equaliser in the 51st minute. The Albion defence allowed a lobbed ball to go over them and quickly in was Mike Brandon to shoot across Walker. Two minutes later and Hurst found himself in a good position when yet another deflected ball arrive at his feet but he only succeeded in lifting his attempt over the bar. Then on 59 minutes the visitors produced an attack down the right flank, the first attempt on goal only partially cleared with the ball falling nicely for Gary Bryning who fired home from 15 yards out.<br><br>Witton tried desperately to get back on level terms and on 65 minutes Whitehead did well to block Mike Cartner?s with Leon Williams unable to control the rebound. Then eight minutes from time Williams saw his good effort headed clear by Dave Shore with Stuart Tulloch firing the rebound narrowly wide.<br><br>With the season fast drawing to a close, news that their nearest rivals for the runners-up spot, Knutsford had only drawn their match still leaves Albion favourites with a five point advantage and just four matches for both the teams left to play. <br><br>Team: Brett Walker; Matt Murray, Chris Jump, Gary Furnival (Gavin Smith 75), Simon Hughes; Mike Cartner (Danny McNamara 81), Stuart Tulloch, Sam McNutt, Danny Jarrett (Rick Bailey H/T); Leon Williams, Andy Hurst. Sub n/u: Craig Ward.<br><br>