Reserves win final league game

DATEN 0 WITTON ALBION RESERVES 2<br><br><br>TEAM: Clarke; Hughes (Murray), Ward, Jump, Bailey I.; Barhill, McNamara, Jarrett (Hurley), Bailey R.; Smith (Tulloch), Hurst.<br><br>Although I couldn?t make it myself after my head came off second best against a paving slab! I?m pleased to say thanks to our roving reporter that although not playing up to the expected standard this evening nevertheless the team?s fitness showed near the end when both goals came.<br><br>Against a Daten team who, also playing their last league match of the campaign, desperately needed to win to climb out of the relegation area Keiron Clarke, getting a rare start with Brett Walker having to work, was more troubled by the dipping sun rather than the Culcheth based club?s forwards.<br><br>Worrying for the Albion, with the vital President?s Cup semi-final coming up on Saturday, was the sight of Simon Hughes leaving the field midway through the first half. In fact by the time the 2nd half had started all three Witton substitutes were on the park.<br><br>The breakthrough goal came initially when the linesman incorrectly awarded Albion a throw-in. A corner was then won and up came CRAIG WARD to head the ball home. The second goal though was a well worked affair as after Rick Bailey and Andy Hurst combined well substitute WILL HURLEY popped up to add the finishing touch.<br><br>So it?s been an impressive first season at this level, runners-up place well cemented with a 59 points haul from the 30 matches. Just 5 defeats and a goal difference of +29.<br>Even more important though has been the appearance of virtually all the reserve squad in the first team. And isn?t that what Reserve team football is all about? <br>

hope the paving slab didnt breakā€¦see you saturday

Good report Chad ? I did think we played a bit better than suggested, but it was made hard because Daten were fighting for there lives, the defence were quite strong and in no real trouble, cant remember Kieron making a save ? lets hope they can win at crossfields on saturday which will be tough, but a cup final would round the ressies season of nicely. :slight_smile: