Stocksbridge v Witton

Top scorers (again) in the Trophy yesterday, albeit sharing the honours this time with Team Bath. I hope this isn’t the start of a slide, only scoring 5 goals this time!

As stated above, we were pretty unconvincing first half, but once the third goal went in we took a stranglehold on the game, let our class shown through, and by the end were good value for 5-2. Credit to Stocksbridge though, they gave us a real challenge for an hour, and looked to have a good set-up there.

All the comments are pretty much spot on, especially about Macca. He was awesome again.

Well done boys! Through to the next round now! ill take that! Lets concentrate on three points v hednesford now! Come on Witton!

well done Witton the best side by far the season, good luck for the rest of season

Cheers Steels, thought our lads made it very difficult for us in the first half and the 5-2 scoreline does not tell the full story of the game! As said before you have a good set-up there at SPS and hopefully you can start picking up a few more home wins - you will do if you play like yesterday.

All the best for the remainder of the season and cheers for the hospitality.

:slight_smile:

From Steels Web-site:

FA Trophy, 2nd Qualifiyng Round
Saturday, 3/11/07
Steels 2-5 Witton Albion

Steels nearly produced a big scare in the FA Trophy, 2nd Qualifiyng Round in front of our biggest crowd of the season, Steels were missing Ludlam, Schofield, Oldham, Frosty all to injury and Benger was playing local football to get 90 minutes under his belt, Steels raced out of the starting grid with Vardy hitting the post in the 1st minute, his pace would prove to be a big thorn in Witton’s side all match as was shown on 4 minutes when Vardy chased down what looked to be a lost cause and scored much to the delight of the home fans, this thought gave Witton a big kick up the backside as they were back on level terms within 3 minutes when Witton hot shot Warlow capitalized on some poor defending by Steels to head home and then he popped up again on 9 minutes when he managed to out tackle 3 Steels players and our goalkeeper to give Witton the lead, Steels fans started to fear the worse and so could the manager when he shout to them to start defending, the player were a credit to Stocksbridge as they carried on playing some good passing football and twice Vardy was ruled of side which was that close it raised a few eye brows then Steels were back on level terms when Collins for the second weekend running popped up to head home for Steels and silenced the away fans, and that’s how it stayed to half time.

Half Time: Steels 2-2 Witton Albion

Steels should have taken the lead within minutes of kicking off the second half with Vardy chipping the keeper but it some how managed to hit the post, and left some fans wondering what could have been. Witton though kept the pressure on the Steels defence and took the lead on 54 minutes through Brodie again the Steels defence failed to clear when needed, Witton then stepped up a gear and added a 4th on 63 when Warlow completed his hat trick, Steels then changed things around with Ring and Walker coming on for Jowitt and Brown and Walker’s pace caused problems for Witton on the right side, Ward then replaced Vardy who got a standing ovation from the home support and much to the relief of the Witton defence and Ward had a very good shot saved by Kennedy and then Witton added salt to the wounds with a 5th on 68 minutes, but Steels continued to look dangerous going forward with Ring having a good shot by it went over the bar. Witton went through but only after a good battle with Steels and the 5-2 score line did not tell the whole story, if we can play like this week in week out then we can beat anyone in our division, well done Steels you did us proud today.

Full Time: Steels 2-5 Witton Albion

Our report now on the home page of the site;
http://www.wittonalbion.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=116&Itemid=29

Attendance 214…how many do we estimate were Witton fans?!

Whilst I agree with the comments about the defence being ragged in the 1st half, football is played for 90 minutes and lets give credit where its due.

In 5 of the last 6 games we have been absolutely rampant in the last half hour, this is down to fitness, belief and being calm under pressure. In turn we need to make sure that we as supporters don’t send out negative vibes when things don’t quite go our way.

The most important thing on Saturday was to win, mission accomplished.

i think this is the biggest change in our team from last season as andy chad says! Last season if i remember rightly, the general consensus was that we werent closing out games and this year, from what i can tell, we are not panicking and therefore closing out a lot more games in the final half an hour and it really shows! Well done lads! Keep it up! Come on Witton!

http://www.wittonalbionfc.com/othervideos.php?video=witton%20golas.wmv&fixture_id=1500

Great day out well played lads, great to see the old boys, andy chad, phil, pooley!!! and of course mike and the gorgeuos tracy who has saved herself for me after all these years! see u all at hucknall i hope and then at a home game early dec

Jamie Vardy has gone a long way since then.

He has indeed.

What a team we had in those days, too. Some great players in there.