Witton 1-3 Crewe

Albion suffered their first defeat of the season but can certainly take heart from a good performance agaisnt a Crewe side which included 5 first teamers.<br><br>We infact went 1-0 up when Sargy was bought down/keeper handled (I was 100 yards away) from which Yates dispatched the penalty.<br><br>Crewe then took a 2-1 lead into the break. No idea of the first goal I’m afraid the 2nd was an excellent run from inside his own half I think and then a cool finish into the far corner - lightning break. A very good goal.<br><br>Albion pressed and both teams made changes in the 2nd half as Albion sought an equaliser. The goal did come but after a defensive error which allowed Crewe to make the game safe with a good lob from around 20 yards out.

Can someone give me the starting line up for the Albion and some info on peformances by the team/players thanks

Any signs of Matty Garner in the Crewe lineup at all?

Keeper handled for a penalty???

uhm Neil you weren’t really watching last night, too busy taking hard earned money off us punters etc!!<br><br>Here’s my account of the events:-<br><br>Crewe?s manager Dario Gradi had been quoted prior to the match that 4 of 5 positions were still up for grabs in the Coca Cola Championship opening fixture against Cardiff this coming Saturday. The Alex line-up had half a dozen players with 1st team experience playing but it was some of the home team?s ?stars? that took the eye in the opening half hour (notably Adam Foy, Andy Barlow, Paul Gibson and newly signed striker Lee Madin).<br><br>On 16 minutes Alex keeper Clayton Ince advanced off his line and hauled Dave Nolan down as the midfielder was about to unleash a shot. Even though the ball was put into the net by Madin, referee Mark Heywood had already whistled and pointed to the spot and it was to be Michael Yates who opened up the evening?s scoring.<br><br>Paul Gibson then produced two good saves to deny Steve Jones and Andy White, however a poor flapped away clearance following a corner in the 29th minute saw the ball lifted to the far post where Crewe?s Wincham based defender Mark Roberts headed home an equaliser.<br><br>Within a minute though Witton again took the game to Crewe and Ince produced a superb full length diving save to deny Madin. Witton?s bold attacking moves though proved to be their undoing when in the 37th minute defender?s Dave Tickle and Gary Furnival both failed to keep possession and unfortunately for them the livewire Steve Jones collected the ball on the half-way line to fairly sprint downfield before sending a wicked low shot past Gibson.<br><br>From the hour mark both teams produced a number of personnel changes with Peter King making seven in total however it appeared that an equaliser might be on the cards as for several minutes the home team were encamped within the Railwaymen’s penalty area. Ince again performed heroics denying in particular Mike Moseley but it was a somewhat flukish goal a minute from time that gave Crewe a bit more respectability. An attempted clearance ricocheted of Danny Salt’s back and fell at the feet of Luke Varney who lobbed the ball back over the stranded Gibson.<br><br>Albion Team: Gibson, Evans (Salt 59), Tickle, Barlow (Pritchard 80), Furnival (Webster 84), Foy (Owens 84), Yates (Carden 80), Nolan, Moseley, Madin (Bird 65) & Sargeson (Dicken 59).<br><br><br><br>

Thanks Chad - is that better Pritch?<br><br>Garner, last I read he was off to Iceland but released by Crewe I think.

We should try and get him back if he has been released

Not taking anything away from Witton’s performance which was pretty good, but don’t get carried away. Neil Baker brought his reserve team last night but did include 5 players with first team experience- a couple of them will feature regularly this season. Don’t want to dampen your spirits though, all the best for the coming season.<br><br>p.s. Did’nt hear the attendance last night - any ideas?<br>

The gate was put on the fixtures/results page last night before my "report"<br>238 I believe - it was also announced in the 2nd half.