Witton Albion v Lincoln United

Great performance today, I’m not lying when I say it should have been more! a dead cert pen turned down and two or three excellent saves by their keeper. Onward and upward!!!

well chuffed with that today great team performance and nice to keep a clean sheet.
No need to name individuals today…the team did the job well done
6-0!!! ;D ;D ;D

Absolutely gutted to have missed this one.

Well done to all the lads, great result, let’s hope we can produce such good form for the remainder of the season.

If my figures are correct we can pass all the other teams except Telford who would be still 8 points ahead of us even if we won all our games in hand, and Hednesford who would be just 1 point in front of us if we won all the games in hand. I know it is unlikely we can win all the games in hand but with the squad we have now I cannot see any reason why we cannot finish second in the league. Message in closing to Jim and Benny, play the reserves and those coming back from injury in the cup ties, we don’t need the Cups but we do need promotion if the club is to move forward. Almost forgot, WHAT A BRILLIANT RESULT AND PERFORMANCE BY THE TEAM TODAY!!!
WHS

wow! when i just looked on here to find out the Witton score i was extremely pleased, this is one match that i couldnt have gone to under any conditions and how i regret not goin to it now! well done witton keep it up!!! ;D :smiley:

Excellent result and performance - well done lads.

It’s easy to say that the opposition were not up to much, however 6-0 didn’t flatter us! There was a nailed on penalty when Griff was brought down (the most obvious you will ever see) and their keeper made a couple of good saves (I can think of two good stops at least, both to Miller). This could have been a cricket score (should that be Australian cricket score)!

Not sure who got Man of the Match but there were 10 contenders (sorry can’t include JK as we hardly saw him all afternoon - there again maybe I should 'cause he did keep a clean sheet)! Personally I thought our midfield was superb this afternoon and for me that is our best midfield line-up at the moment, strong into tackles and creative on the ball. Ironically with Moseley and Warlow both not starting we looked capable of scoring every time we came forward.

Shame there were only 223 to see what a good performance this was, I guess most people are waiting for January pay-day! This was the perfect return to focusing on the league, if we can keep up this standard then we are as good, if not better, than anyone in this league. Still hope the cup games don’t get in the way, but right now the games can’t come quick enough.

Well done the boys and Jim and Benny - top draw!

I think your calculations are right WHS.

What is interesting regards next Saturday’s fixtures is that Hednesford (2nd) play Whitby (5th) so both can’t get 3 points! Same goes for Burscough (4th) playing Matlock (6th)! If Hednesford and Burscough both win at home and we win away at Kendal then we will be already back up to 5th (and in the play-off places) on 45 points with better goal difference! This would put us in a really strong position with games still in hand!

I know it’s a bit early in the season to be working out ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ (killing time looking at the table whilst waiting for the Hatton fight to come on the TV)!

The above does demonstrate however that with a couple of league wins in a row we can firmly get into a play-off position quite quickly! We all said Lincoln was a big game (and indeed it was), however having got that what one out of the way now Kendal is really important (LOL)! Let’s hope we can fill the bus and take a few up north, get behind the lads and get another 3 points.

This is the time of year when we generally begin to fall off the pace a bit. so it’s great that yesterday’s result at least sets down a positive marker for the next few months. Yes Lincoln were poor, but you can only beat what is put infront of you and to be fair we did much more than just beat them. Some of the passing and movement was brilliant. I thought Connors put in another good display.

My only change to that midfield would be to include Peers for Miller when he’s fit. But isn’t it good to have that option! Not only Peers to come back in, but Moseley and Warlow too!! There’s plenty of goalscoring ability in those 3 players, and we still scored 6 without them.

In the league cup we may aswell play some of the fringe players, especially now we’ve developed a big squad. I’d prefer us to put a good side out against Vics though, as i’d love us to beat them. Plus, as last Saturday has shown, it can only do our lads good to test themselves against Conference opposition.

I see no reason why we can’t go to Kendal and get something from the game - and we do owe them for turning us over earlier in the season.

Can Benny stand the cold wind up in the Lakes and keep his shorts on??

Got to agree we should rest some players in the cups. The FA competitions are worth trying to win for the prize money, but some of the mickey mouse cups just aren’t that important.

Great performance - bloody awful attendance - its a great team, probably one of the best for a long time, the worrying thing is can they keep it together, not on attendances like that.

I await the criticism for that comment, but in reality it is true.

Great performance indeed - poor Lincoln side though.
I actually think Lincoln had more efforts on goal than they did back in September when they beat us!

As for the gate - very disappointing yes, it is what it is though we are trying things to get people down. In contrast the scum got 890 - it doesnt help us if they get 200 but surely a small contrast that both games ewre pooly supported, and I’ll bet anythign Aldershot had more then, erm none.
Flip side, someone was panicing they won’t be able to get everyone a seat on thursday night or enough pies and I’m not even there! Support for the team seems as strong as ever amongst many.

To Len and GE.
Cannot go to Kendal, prior engagement sadly. I owe you a bottle Len and you ?3 GE. I will try to get both to GE before Thursday. If I fail, (my memory is awful) I will give you both ?5 for the team the next time I see you.
WHS.

I think financially this weekend is the worst of the year, most people get paid early before Christmas plus the added expense of the festive season, next week is payday for most so a lot just couldn’t afford to go on saturday, I know that a lot of pubs and clubs have struggled this last week so all in all dissappointing but not altogether a disaster after last weeks game and visits from Telford and Hendesford to come I wouldn’t be too pessimistic on this one game, and Rob maybe you wouldn’t get so much stick if you came on here and congratulated the team occasionally rather than just making (yes true) but negative posts all the time.

Intersting to know too how the extra 30p on programmes went down GE? I held my hand to a couple that I had suggested we put the price up to stop making a loss. I did also keep my word and handed my programme back for resale before the game.

Sent a letter to both local papers on the match and the need for more Wittoners to get to the games, maybe they will print them. I give what I can, wish I could give more, because I agree, this is the best team we have had in years. Anyone know someone with plenty of money he doesn’t want?
WHS.

First the performance - really excellent. You can say Lincoln were poor but they harbour hopes of being in the play offs themselves (see their web site for their manager’s prematch update). So putting a fellow play off rival to the sword in such fashion was awesome. I was worried prematch that the wind might ruin the game and become a leveller as it has in the past - but no chance of that. Well done guys - looking forward to Kendal already!

Programs - quite a few moans and groans about the uplift in prices on the program - and I don’t think they sold out. Whether this would have happened anyway is a possibility, but no doubt on the back of the issue with the social club bar being unavailable at half time last week it did nothing for some supporters morale. I know 30p is not a lot but its the message it sends. The price is also a 'mare for program sellers because of the change issue.

Attendance - disappointing in the extreme after last week. That said I hope the excuses re pay day, end of jan depression, vics at home, cats gone missing etc are all true and that those who stayed away realise what they have missed. One of our best home performances for years…

robby, i dont think there was a wittoner there on sat, that wasnt dissapointed in the attendance.
but, if you care to look at the stats, wittons gates have increased by 6.8% this year, which is on top of a price increase at the gates of about 13% for adults.
and with telford, hens, and marine who all bring fans with them, should see us on line for a 10% overall gate increase this year.
well done wittoners. ;D

Fantastic performance, great flowing attacking football, an absolute pleasure to be at the game.

Games like Saturday make all the fund raising efforts and hard work worthwhile.

Lets be positive.

Rob is correct the gate was p1ss poor but did he and the sponsors get counted in the gate? Or is it just people through the turnstile?

Did he bring any friends or spread the word to anyone about the game?

When he was on the board what initiatives did he have to increase the attendances?

Its really easy to flag up problems, but its a bit more difficult to offer solutions.

Taken from the Lincolnshire News:

Lincoln United’s player/assistant manager Dave Gilbert offered no excuses for his side’s 6-0 capitulation against Witton Albion, the Whites’ heaviest defeat of the season.

The performance ranked alongside United’s worst this season and leaves them treading water in mid-table, seven points adrift of a UniBond League Premier Division play-off place.

Gilbert, who played in Saturday’s match, admitted only goalkeeper Mario Ziccardi emerged from the match with any credit.

"The only positive to come from the game is our cleaning bill because we didn’t make enough tackles to get any mud on our kit," he said.

"Mario made three or four top saves and, but for him, the scoreline would have been even worse.

"You can carry one or two players who have an off day and still remain competitive, but not 10 - that’s far too many.

"Witton had some very good players, but we failed to close them down, allowing them too much space to play their football.

"The players could not come up with excuses, only that they felt lethargic."

Witton took the lead from their first attack, Jones converting a fine cross.

Brown scored the second following a strong run and shot from midfield

Just before half-time, Gary Walters spurned a chance from eight yards out for United, but Brown’s second - after 60 minutes - killed off the game as a contest.

Further second-half goals from Frost, Brownhill and Jones completed the Whites’ humiliation.

"The players held their hands up and admitted to not performing on the day," said Gilbert.

"Following Witton’s third goal, you could tell from their body language that the players’ hearts were not in it.

"It was quite an energy-sapping pitch, which could be used as an excuse - but not when you saw Witton’s performance.

"They were full of energy and were creating several chances, so we can’t use that as an explanation for our performance.

"We had the game recorded on video for us, so manager John Wilkinson will sit down with the players at training on Tuesday and talk through what went wrong."

Wilkinson gave Darren Brooks a chance from the substitutes’ bench, but the winger did not have a chance to get in to the game.

"Darren has not had as many opportunities as he would have liked because of the outstanding form of Gary Walters - it has been hard for him to break in to the first team," said Gilbert.

"Unfortunately, our performance did not allow Darren to really show what he is about.

"Witton were on the front foot for almost all of the game and, in those circumstances, it is difficult for any substitute to stamp their authority on the game.

"We also did not have Brendan McDaid available, which was a big loss because he is a key player for us."

Programmes: We had 100 - usual freebies to players, sponsors, boardroom etc and we had 6 left. Had to put ?20 in to pay for them.

GE

I like the idea of a subscription scheme for the programme.

If someone could work out the cost (obviously include P&P) then I would certainly sign up.