Witton vs Fleetwood

Back in the country for this one and really relieved when the final whistle sounded. Don’t know why the Fleetwood camp etc was so scathing of the match officials this afternoon.<br><br>Anyway here’s my "wee report" - Good to see Martin and mates down from Glasgee for the game.<br><br>FA Carlsberg Trophy - Saturday October 21st 2006<br><br>WITTON ALBION 2 FLEETWOOD TOWN 1<br><br>TEAM: Worsnop: Bowler, Pritchard, Spearritt, Brownhill; Peers, Lloyd, Brown Alex (Warlow 83), Connors, Whalley (Frost 83); Moseley (Jones G. 89). Subs n/u Brown Alistair & Gahgan<br><br>Entertainment Value FOUR **** Man of Match STEVE CONNORS n/b Tom Spearritt<br><br><br>Albion fought off a tremendous second half assault from Town at the Britannia Carpets Stadium to secure their place in Monday?s draw. Thankful indeed to have grabbed a two goal cushion, seconds before the interval, it was a nail biting final period for the home fans as the visitors, supported by a very vociferous coach load of followers strived to force a replay.<br><br>It was Fleetwood that produced the first piece of goalmouth action with a corner kick from Jamie Milligan being palmed away by Jon Worsnop. The keeper then caught the ball from the subsequent corner, released it quickly to Shaun Whalley who ran at the defence before squaring the ball right into MARK PEERS? path. The winger cleverly gauged his run into the box before sending his shot across Mike Hale and into the net off the far post.<br><br>Milligan again went close for Town before Mike Moseley delayed shooting with his right foot and only succeeded finding the side netting with his left peg. Hale?s produced a brave diving save at Moseley?s feet. Whilst at the other end Phil Denney almost caught Worsnop out with a lobbed attempt.<br><br>With the half-time whistle seconds away Peers broke down the right, sent a cross into the danger area that somehow Hale fumbled and MIKE MOSELEY was quickly on hand to bundle the ball over the line using his midriff. <br><br>Whalley was very unlucky 7 minutes after the break when his shot struck the upright but he was then guilty of failing to settle the afternoon?s result when he skied his shot when perfectly placed, after receiving Rob Lloyd?s pass.<br><br>Fleetwood then proceeded to take charge and pulled a goal back on 55 minutes when Nathan Pond ran in unchecked to power a header home from a corner-kick. Less than five minutes later Denney saw his headed attempt comfortable held by Worsnop.<br><br>Pond then produced good defensive work by sliding in to intercept Lloyd?s ball to Moseley but was a little fortunate when the ball narrowly evaded the post. As Town pushed forward in numbers it needed a timely intervention from Martin Moran to block Moseley?s effort following a downward header from substitute Adam Warlow.<br><br>With the game going into stoppage time Ged Smith produced a wicked cross that somehow Worsnop, having been unsighted by his own defender Tom Spearritt somehow managed to push out for a corner-kick. <br><br><br>For me the really worrying aspect from this match was the virtual lack of shooting. Too many times openings were created but then either an additional and unnecessary pass was made or defenders were given time to get their bodies in front. Midfield seemed too packed at times and we had Moseley having to resort to ploughing a lone furrow up front, too reminiscent of some of our poorer matches last season.<br><br>I?d hope that in future matches that players such as Alex Brown and Rob Lloyd, whom we know can produce blistering finishes do so again.<br>

Been said before Eddie about Rod seems unable to post without putting something negative about fans/attendances etc well done to the players today how many times have we lost games like this, a very tough week with extra time being played on tuesday against higher league opposition so to finish with a win in the trophy has got to be good news!!

Why so scathing about the Cods supporters the vast majority were ?well behaved a good laugh and put money across our bar. I for one thought it was nice to see away fans enjoying a day out. Plus a good banter befiore and after the game<br>But of course WAFC fans away from home are angels ?[smiley=ranting.gif] <br>Get a life ? ?Well done the Cods ?[smiley=applause_smiley.gif] Best of luck in the FA Cup [smiley=applause_smiley.gif]<br>

Great result today, just got back in the country myself so pleasing bit of news after tuesday night. With regards to the attendance issue, just been on the unibond site and our attendance was the 3rd highest out of all the trophy games today!

Some interesting results today.<br><br>Woodley Sports 6 Marine 1 :o

I would love to be positive and say that the club can afford to pay the current budget for the rest of the season, to win the league and I sincerely hope the team do because it is a very good team this year. But from my experience, the income through the gates does not pay the wages. So perhaps the record is stuck and I would love to be proved wrong but I doubt it.

Yet again Rob, you’ve proven you are the master of the absolutely bleedin’ obvious. ::)<br><br>You say you would love to be positive. Well, try doing it. Honestly, it will make you feel a lot better ;D

Instead of coming on here moaning about attendances and budgets, try to do something to help. Turn up to the home games, bring a friend if you can. Or do what Andy Chad etc are doing and try to raise money in other ways. Alot of people are doing their bit, so if the rest of us can help out then maybe we can get the record changed this year - or better still, maybe we can raise enough money for a CD player and then the problem will be solved once and for all ;D

A good result and a game which shouldn’t have been in doubt- yep I agree please shoot when we’re less than 20yards out instead of queing up to be tackled!<br><br>I don’t think the attendances have been all that bad this year so far. We can always wish for more.<br><br>Into the next round and I make it ?7350 in prize money so far - reasonable return so far lets hope we can keep it going and maybe get a conference club in the trophy.

Is there prize money for each round of the Trophy too Neil?

Yes there is:<br>?1350 last Saturday<br>?2000 next round<br><br>have alook at the link here from the FA site:<br><br>http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFATrophy/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2004/06/PrizeFundPayments_2004_05.htm&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;It’ll be a total of ?6350 if we make it to the 1st round proper which would be nice to add to the FA Cup money as well.<br>Before Rob comes on - yes we really do need it.

going by that link we should get about ?94,000 for winning it this season… ;D

Thank you Neil, someone agrees with me.

Rob, sorry mate, but don’t get the feeling that this forum doesn’t agree with you on the whole. I’m sure most people do agree with your comments, but I for one get pretty tired of reading your posts which keep banging on and on about the same issue.<br><br>So lighten up and don’t try and tell us what we already know. <br><br>That’s it - now I’ll stop banging on about RS ;D