Woodley vs Witton

Come on the Albs! A great result, even if not the best of performances, but well done to the lads for coming through a tricky encounter. Must mention Carl Frost, who made a big difference when he came on. Also Pritch - revenge is sweet, eh?

I agree lordsidney, as soon as frostie was introduced we looked much sharper.<br>Shaun Millar was full of running and did look promising, but we looked like we missed the experience of mike upfront, and definitely stevie C in the middle.

Interstingly enough they have given the gate as 195 (BBC Sport Website), of which I reckon Witton had excess of 120. An excellent following for a deserving cause.

Another terrific day - average performance but is anyone really that bothered? We looked good in patches but given there home record and previous results I think we did a lot better than people think coming away with a 3-1 win.<br><br>Support terrific again - around 70% of the crowd would you say?<br>Well done, another ?4k in the bank as well - I saw the chairman smiling!<br><br>Away from cup competitions we are still 4th!<br><br>

Hi guys, Great result for the lads and good on Pritch for his second goal in as many games. <br>Was out walking in the snow capped mountains and sunshine earlier so had to wait to check the scores, and the great result helped warm the soul. Great to see the lads are keeping up the winning form. <br><br>Thanks Neil, Stu and co for the updates.<br><br>Shane

My man of the match ? difficult to say JK. Pritch or Griff<br>can’t decide<br><br>errrr on reflection <br> any of the team really<br><br>???

The result was all that mattered as it puts much needed money into the kitty. However, I wish Jim had made the substitutions 10 minutes into the second half when it was obvious we were being over-run in midfield and things had not improved after the half time interval. Caghan and Miller are great young players but virtually did not get a kick after the first 10 minutes, consequently Brown and Lloyd were left trying to mark four Woodley players between them. Still, that is the first time I have seen Jim "re-act" rather than "act" during a game, he usually sees what is wrong lomg before it becomes a problem. But on the very big plus side this team showed it could "dig" out a result when the going got tough.<br>WHS.

F.A. Carlsberg Trophy ?First Round ? Saturday December 16th 2006<br><br>WOODLEY SPORTS ?1 ?WITTON ALBION ?3 ? ?att 195<br><br>TEAM: Kennedy: Spearritt, Pritchard, Barras, Brownhill; Gahgan (Frost 68), Lloyd, Brown Alex; Warlow, Jones G., Miller (Hockenhull 88). ? Sub n/u Brown Alistair & Hendricks <br><br>Team Rating ?FOUR ? Man of Match ?Griff Jones ?n/b Brian Pritchard<br><br>It was the 1992/93 season that Albion last won 4 ties in the FA Trophy but on the very impressive synthetic surface they overcame a slightly dodgy spell, around the hour mark when they fell behind, to come back and fairly steamed home and therefore are the sole UniBond League representatives in the last 32! The ?4,000 prize money was an added bonus to finally getting a win over Woodley after both the previous Senior Cup ties had gone their way in very controversial circumstances indeed. The declared attendance was somewhat surprising as when judging the Witton support present then less than 50 home fans were there!<br><br>Albion for the opening 10 minutes thrived on the surface with wave upon wave of attacks and home keeper Liam Higginbotham did well in under 30 seconds to hold Chris Gahgan?s corner kick as Brian Pritchard came to meet the ball. The keeper needed a second attempt to grasp Gahgan?s low 8th minute drive with this time Griff Jones threatening. In between Jones, after a good interchange of passes, fired just wide. What was worrying though was the reluctance to shoot when other openings had been created. New loan signing from Crewe Shaun Miller was involved in most of these early moves and looks to be a very good prospect.<br><br>Albion were winning quite a few corners but each time it was a Woodley player who got the ball and they showed how quickly they could counter attack most times. Jon Kennedy twice in as many minutes around the half-hour mark was called upon to block close range shots as play quickly went to the other end. Adam Warlow on 38 minutes produced a lovely run in from the left but Higginbotham proved he was also good at blocking as the striker went for his 15th of the campaign. In the final minute of the half it was this time Pritchard who got in to block as Woodley again quickly attacked.<br><br>Five minutes after the restart Albion?s stalwart again was alert to get back and block but four minutes later he was up in attack, twisting in mid-air to head Rob Lloyd?s free-kick narrowly wide of the target. Alex Brown then saw a 30 yard screamer just clear the crossbar before Jones, on the hour mark, almost floated one in from the wide left, the keeper being mighty relieved to see the ball just curl outside the far post. Albion then had several minutes defending with all their might as Sports forced several corners. However one flag-kick from the right in the 64th minute found Nick Boothby near the far post and he headed home.<br><br>Jim Vince?s response was to replace Gahgan, who?d been visibly struggling to maintain his form, with Carl Frost. This bred a new resurgence in the forward play and Jones was only denied a goal when the left back stuck out a leg. Albion didn?t have to wait too long for their equaliser though when Higginbotham, attempting to get to Miller as he went to the by-line, inexplicably threw his arms around the forward?s neck. So a penalty kick awarded and showing no nerves, bearing in mind Albion?s atrocious record from the spot, GRIFF JONES duly converted.<br><br>This appeared to knock the stuffing out of the home team, who as they rightly bragged had sent Marine and Whitby both up there with the Albion, well and truly packing in earlier rounds. Some desperate challenges were coming in but when the left-back fouled Miller just outside the area Lloyd floated the ball into a packed area and having brushed a couple of heads there was BRIAN PRITCHARD to send his header past the keeper and in at the far post. <br><br>Still Albion weren?t satisfied and with two minutes remaining Frost sent a scorcher of a cross in from the wide right to be met with a ferocious volley by GRIFF JONES to complete the scoring. ? ? ? ? <br>

Great character shown by this team to come from behind twice in a week. First half i thnk we looked quite comfortable, but never really looked like scoring. Their goal looked to of had us beat. The penalty turned the game without doubt.<br>Was good to see all of the players having a laugh and a joke with the fans in the club after the game again.<br>Can’t decide if i want a home draw in the next round or if i want another big away day!

PS - We really do need to start shooting more often!!

Great win, got outplayed for large parts of the game but how much of an advantage was the pitch?!?<br><br>Dodgy penalty to say the least but great grit and determination to pull the tie around.<br><br>On the subject of the attendance - Same old, same old. Wrong by 50-100 I would say.<br><br>I think we will have to get some turnstiles that just spin round!<br><br>Still were through and there not!!!

THere was a sign on the gate that said "Don’t ask for free admission" but there seemed no check being made to record who was paying, or how many.Needs the FA to have a look.<br>WHS.

Just got home now after spending last night all today out of the house!! Have to say my first witton game in over 3 months was something to remeber!! The atmosphere was so much better than it was when i left in september!! Not sure the pitch was the best thing for witton’s game but the most important thing is we pulled through and got the goals we needed!! Just before the penalty was given i thought we were going out but the penalty changed everything and thereon we looked like doing nothing but winning!! well done boys!! Onto the next round we march!!

I must admit to being a bit nervous at times during the second half - and that pitch is a definite advantage to the home side no matter what they say. But well done to all the guys.<br><br>Who next? We will know shortly. My preference - well Oxford at home would do nicely!!

Mangotsfield at home for me - but I’m thinking of the progress into the next round & the ?5k.<br><br>GE<br>

Staggered that JK wasn’t named MOM - we would have been (and should have been) dead and buried.<br><br>Having said that, great guts and determination in very difficult conditions shown by the lads, even though the surface and speed of the game meant a few of us had off-days.<br><br>Next round? The rabble at home would do nicely!

I agree JK was magnificent, again.<br>WHS

Just side-stepping the match for a second or two, it was great to see one interested spectator at Woodley on Saturday namely ex Witton player Steve Mallinson.<br><br>I kept looking and he kept glancing over and I thought is it or isn’t it? Then he came over and shook my hand, it was great to see him again.

Benno was there as well now working full time at Crewes academy!