Worst Pitch

Whats the worst pitch (not surroundings) that you’ve seen a Witton game on?

I’ll offer the Christmas game at the Paddy(Drill) Field early 90’s - think we won on a pitch with standing water all over it.

And the worst pitch I have ever seen was Winsford Utd when the Supporters game was played a couple of years ago.

What about away at Spennymoor?

Ashton United’s pitch is rubbish whenever we play there.

The Drill Field one where we nicked a late 1 nil win? I think that was the year it was one big puddle! Dec '93 maybe?

I havent seen many games on WP where it was been too bad (was the Bolton game pretty wet though?), but i remember one January game at home to Runcorn in about 1992 (Bob Lord Trophy?) where the pitch was pretty much frozen solid.

Drill Field, Easter Monday '93. Thunderstorm before kick-off turned the pitch on the shack side into a lake, oh and we won 3-1.

Kendal Away was always bad, 1 year though I remember standing next to me dad and he got mud all over him from the linesmans boots. To make matters worse we also got pi$$ wet through due to a massive hole in the roof of their so called stand. Seem to remember Dave Anane getting a couple of goals that day though so we must have won!

Congleton and Mossley in the 1950’s !

A trip to Valerie Park, the San Siro of Merseyside, is always a shocking playing surface.

In recent years I would agree that Ashton has been appalling, there again Matlock in the recent Trophy game was about as bad as a modern pitch gets.

We are extremely fortunate that the hard working volunteers we have manage to create such a fantastic pitch. We will also benefit again from Tracy’s efforts on collecting for the maintenance fund. We can never take this for granted, if you want the benefit of a decent surface it takes time and money.

Just a shame in current conditions that we don’t have undersoil heating, but at a cost of a few hundred grand to install and probably £10k to run each time it’s on for the week before a game I think we’ll just have to deal with postponements. That’s unless one of us wins the lottery in the meantime!

Prescot Cables- remember when Tony Barras missed a first half penalty,on a pitch that was ENGINEERED to be one of the worst ever.

South Liverpool- bone hard and always a dust bowl,we use to have some horrendous games there.

Hyde Utd- their plastic paradise was as hard as Tony Jarvis.I remember playing there with the offical supporters team and the ball just kept on bouncing,generally all the way into the oppositions net.

Eli, what was it like watching football in black and white? :wink:

Bloody awful when both teams were in stripes ! :unsure:

That thunderstorm game at the Drill field in 1993 should never ever have gone ahead, there was standing water all over the pitch. I was struck by lightning walking down London road, a blue flash down the golf umbrella I was holding, gave me a jolt like a severe static shock!! At least we won!

Gateshead away an evening winter game I set off from work in sub zero conditions, The A1 was like a bloody skating rink! The crowd was 72 (in that international stadium!) the pitch was playable though and we lost!!

Winsford away one new years day game abandoned pitch frozen solid should neve have kicked off!!

Mario Kempes wrote:

[quote]Prescot Cables- remember when Tony Barras missed a first half penalty,on a pitch that was ENGINEERED to be one of the worst ever.

South Liverpool- bone hard and always a dust bowl,we use to have some horrendous games there.

Hyde Utd- their plastic paradise was as hard as Tony Jarvis.I remember playing there with the offical supporters team and the ball just kept on bouncing,generally all the way into the oppositions net.[/quote]
think the supporters game defeat was more to do with TJ being in goal rather than the pitch B)

We won that game YR - despite TJ!

One of our ex-players has offered Great Harwood Town as the worst pitch they’ve played on.

Was about to post on here, Pritch has nominated Great Harwood Town’s The Showground too.

worst pitch got to be drill feild 93

Andy Chad wrote:

[quote]We won that game YR - despite TJ!

One of our ex-players has offered Great Harwood Town as the worst pitch they’ve played on.[/quote]
sorry chad i must be thinking of another supporters match at hyde where we got battered 5-1 or 6-1 and stan allen scored our only goal (even tho i got a toe to it on the line!!) i cant of dreamt it as in the bishop 3-1 fanzine in our pen pics for TJ it said “thinks hes a keeper however was caught not thinking several times at hyde!”