Youth Team Exits Proudly

I’ll post a full report later but just to inform you that against the most successful non-league club in the country Neil Gill’s lads did him, themselves and the club proud last night.<br><br>They conceded a goal within 80 seconds, equalised through a combination of quick thinking and superb observation bang on half-time. More than matched their very good opponents throughout virtually all of the 2nd period creating two very good chances to take the lead. However Burscough struck four minutes from time and then with Albion totally committed to attack got a third on a breakaway in the dying seconds so 1-3 in the end.<br><br>Shame that not many Witton personnel and "supporters" were present to watch them though! ?Paying gate of just 66

F.A. Youth Cup ? 1st Qualifying Round - Thursday September 28th 2006<br><br>WITTON ALBION YOUTH 1 BURSCOUGH YOUTH 3 Attendance 88<br><br>Having recorded a terrific win at Northwich Victoria in the previous round to see so few Witton supporters and indeed club personnel present for this game was very disappointing. It was a paying gate of just 66 that saw Neil Gill?s charges take the field, alongside the players from the West Lancashire side, who quite rightly boast of being the most successful non-league club in the country when it comes to this premier F.A. Youth Cup competition.<br><br>Albion started looking very nervous indeed and having conceded a corner in the first minute when the kick came over only managed to clear it to the Linnets? skipper SEAN McCONVILLE 25 yards out. The hat-trick hero of their 6-0 win over Lancaster City in the previous round struck a beauty that although striking the inside of the left post ended nestled in the net.<br><br>Witton immediately countered and it needed a very good and brave tackle by Nick McKuhen to stop Tim Drohan after his good run had seen three challengers left for dead! Two further efforts came from Karl Griffin, one over the bar whilst his second was well held by keeper Kevin Woods.<br><br>McConville, following a 25th minute corner kick, inadvertently got his head in the way of a team-mate?s effort on goal with the ball just scraping over Cadman?s cross-bar. Another good passing move from Witton finished with Matt Wooley sending his shot over the bar quickly followed by a low long distance shot from Vinnie Francis that struck the back of the side netting. From a Wooley free-kick Dean Williams rose unmarked but slight misjudgement of the flight of the ball saw his header miss the target. It needed an instinctive reaction by Wayne Cadman when he stooped quickly to flick away a snap shot to deny Burscough a second goal.<br><br>In the final minute for the half Williams? good run and cross saw the ball held by Woods with Adam Davenport poised to pounce. However in the 2nd minute of added on time Williams, having spotted Woods well off his line screamed for Cadman to release the ball quickly. The keeper?s huge clearance directed perfectly and DEAN WILLIAMS headed the ball over the still marooned custodian. <br><br>A silly period of play marred the first ten minutes of the second period with players from both sides cautioned by the excellent referee Robert Jones. When things thankfully quietened down it was Albion that took the incentive although David Nolan, son of the popular ex Albion player of the same name, produced a diving save out of Cadman. On the hour mark Burscough nearly and probably should have fallen foul of the offside rule, they appealed but it was Matthew Hind, not offside who received the ball. However he slightly hesitated when an instant shot looked the best option and the chance was gone. Davenport, with 15 minutes left then broke clear but only succeeded in toe-poking his effort narrowly wide of the post.<br><br>With extra-time looming Burscough regained their reputation following a corner-kick. The ball not cleared and from a melee of players CRAIG LAMARQUE, who?d been off injured seconds before, popped up to rifle the ball into the roof of the net. It was the same player who really rubbed salt into Albion?s wounds four minutes later when he took full advantage of Witton?s total commitment to attack. He received a clearance just inside the half, advanced and expertly squeezed the ball between Cadman and his near left-hand post. <br><br>The final whistle sounded almost immediately and a very relieved Burscough contingent celebrated somewhat humbly! As for Albion, well the experience certainly should have learnt them a lot and they can take huge credit and be really proud that they competed with the best non-league set-up in the country. <br><br>TEAM: Wayne Cadman; Vinnie Francis, Matthew Davies, Robert McDonough, Nathan Griffiths; Matthew Hind, Karl Griffin, Tim Drohan, Matthew Wooley; Dean Williams & Adam Davenport. Subs Ross Faron, Oliver Harrison, Carl Harvey & Alex Cann.<br>

Here’s Burscough’s view of last nights happenings.<br><br>F.A. Youth Cup 2nd Q Rd<br>28th , 2006.<br><br>Witton Albion - 1; Burscough - 3.<br><br>The young Linnets were back on the FA Youth Cup trail this week, returning victorious from Cheshire thanks to a pair of late goals from Craig Lemarque. The goals arriving in 86 and 90 minutes, just as the game appeared destined for extra-time.<br><br>It took the Linnets just over two minutes to take the lead. Sean McConville scoring via an upright, the goal being particularly remarkable as McConville seemed not to take any back lift as he hit the ball. Home keeper Wayne Cadman was left stunned as the ball went past him.<br><br>Witton are a strong side physically and Burscough struggled to cope for long periods of the first-half, Linnets keeper Kevin Woods coming to the rescue on a number of occiasions. For the home team Karl Griffin looked dangerous taking defenders on at pace and well prepared to have a shot at goal.<br><br>Burscough looked to have weathered the storm from Witton when the home team equalised right on half-time. A long punt down the middle brought a bout of indecisiveness from the Burscough defence, six foot Witton striker Dean Williams showed no such hesitancy, running in to head the ball over Woods after it had bounced at least once.<br><br>Arguably the interval scoreline was a fair one. Witton had more of the play, though Burscough generally coped well and were always a threat on the breakaway.<br><br>Allegedly the interval team talk from Burscough Coach John Fletcher was to get the ball down and play more football, his words seemed to be heeded as Burscough started the second period the in the ascendancy.<br><br>About five minutes in Burscough midfielder Dave Nolan came very close with a 25 yard chip that forced Cadman into a fine save.<br><br>As the half progressed significantly Lemarque was beginning to find more space up front, with it came more confidence. On a 65th minute foray in the Witton area he lost the ball to Cadman who produced a nightmare clearance that straight to McConville 40 yards out, the Burscough captain played it back quickly and Cadman was grateful to gather it. A bit more height on the shot might have left Cadman with a very red face.<br><br>In the latter stages Burscough picked up momentum looking the side with more stamina. In the 84th minute Lemarque gave a taste of what was to come, as he beat the Witton offside trap ran 30 yards and went down in the penalty area. The Burscough contingent appealed vociferously for a penalty only to see referee Jones shake his head.<br><br>A minute later it was Tom Grice?s turn to beat the offside trap on the right he crossed to McConville and Cadman again saved Witton though had to concede a corner. It was only a short stay of execution, McConville?s corner from the left found Lemarque about 8 yards out and he slammed the ball into the roof of the net.<br><br>Witton pressed forwards only to find a solid wall of white not giving anything away.<br><br>As the game entered injury time Lemarque was left on his own up front, as the ball was played out of defence, he intelligently ran along the halfway line and didn?t cross it allowing the ball to run into the Witton half. Lemarque now in the clear took the ball to the keeper?s left drew him from his line and coolly slotted past him for a sure winner.<br><br>BURSCOUGH: Woods, McKuhen, Sinclair (Owen, 73), Berrie (Keenan, 45), McCabe, Mahama (Grice,73), McIntosh, Gilchrist, McConville, Lemarque Sub (not used) Seddon<br><br>