Buxton v Witton

I agree that the result was well dug out, with a disciplined performance, and the three points were hard fought. I just felt last night that it showed the need for players to be strong at this level.

We do need a Danylyk/Connors type player in the squad,(maybe Adam Foy) for the games when we don’t have it all our own way and need to mix it.

I thought there was a spell in the first half where we were pretty fortunate to have not conceded. Had a goal gone in then, then the game may of been pretty different.
Dillon and Proffit do seem a bit light-weight for games like last night. Dillon is clearly a good footballer, but it will take him 5 - 10 games to get used to playing at this level. He will probably find it easier to ease himself into the side by playing in a wider position in the coming weeks.
I thought the introduction of Kearney gave us the big physical presence that we required in the centre of the park. Although Brown did pretty much everything last night!!

Adam’s link-up play is fantastic at the minute, and the goals will come soon. He’s doing the job that Griff did for us last year, and is taking on alot more responsibility. He’s still a young lad, and in the next few weeks he’ll start tearing teams apart. He just needs to stay confident. Sounds daft to say, but despite his lack of goals at the minute he is actually playing a much more important role in the side than this time last year.

Tom S and Pritch were awesome yet again.

There was a spell in the first half, and then again in the 2nd, where the ref was a disgrace. I’m not suprised there were a few instances where the game appeared to be headed for a mass brawl.

Unfortunately i don’t think Proffit has answered enough of the questions asked of him so far. His pace and movement can be an asset, but he needs to hold the ball up better. I think he’ll do a better job for us as an impact player from the bench.

I think Proffitt and Peers in particular found it difficult to run with the ball last night because of the very bumpy pitch. The ball wouldn’t run true for more than 2 or 3 yards, and it only takes a little bobble to lose possession. That’s not to say that we weren’t ‘muscled out’ a lot as well.

UniBond League – Premier Division - Tuesday September 4th 2007

BUXTON 0 WITTON ALBION 2 att. 560

TEAM: Kennedy; Coo, Spearritt, Pritchard, Brownhill; Peers (Turley 77), Dillon (Kearney 55), Brown, Brodie; Warlow, Proffitt (Crowe 62).

Man of Match : Tom Spearritt

Albion made it 5 wins on the bounce as well as 4 matches not conceding a goal nor a caution when they renewed their acquaintance after a gap of 10 years with the delights of Silverlands. One really felt like we’d actually gone back even further in time with some of the moronic chants and songs coming from sections of the un-stewarded crowd some of whom also hung back menacingly long after the final whistle. We also stepped back in time when it came to the match referee, after pouring praise on all the previous whistlers this term up popped Mr Trevor Massey again to remind us what refereeing sadly can be about – namely, just like at Marine last season – the man himself.

Albion took the game, up the slope, to Buxton from the off, Steve Brodie and Mark Peers linked well in the 7th minute and it needed right back Ashley Foyle to block Peers’ shot out for a corner. In the 10th minute Adam Warlow found good space but didn’t really get in a powerful shot, nonetheless, not for the only time in the match, goalkeeper Scott Hartley made a meal of the save and again Albion earned a corner. This time John Dillon’s flag-kick floated over the crestfallen Hartley and there was BRIAN PRITCHARD to head powerfully home and duly celebrate the fact that it was at Buxton, twelve years to the very day that he made his away match debut for Albion – oh by the way he didn’t finish the match that day picking up 2 yellows as Witton won 4-0.

Halfway through the opening period and following a period of some very good possession Alex Brown, who was the pick of the midfield this evening, saw his shot just curl past the right post. Warlow very nearly capitalised when, in the 33rd minute, he timed his jump to block Hartley’s clearance, the ball rebounded past the stricken keeper but with just enough pace on it to roll out for a goal-kick before the striker could latch on to it. At the bottom of the slope 5 minutes later Jon Kennedy was called upon to make his first real save of the evening from Michael Towey. By now Mr Massey was making his presence known, he failed to at least caution Anton Foster when he appeared to slap and then with Witton advancing with the ball stopped play and awarded us a very rare free-kick.

Witton stood back in the opening 20 minutes of the second period the defence absorbing quite comfortably the pressure the home team were applying, Dillon and Dorryl Proffitt, both of whom hadn’t really got to grips with proceedings, were substituted with Ian Kearney giving bite in mid-field and Dean Crowe providing the know-how in setting up attacks. An off the ball incident then saw Dan MacPherson, totally pre-meditated, raise his hands to Cavell Coo, Mr Massey’s decision just a yellow card!

Albion’s lead was extended in the 70th minute, at first it appeared that Peers had turned the wrong way when he passed to Brodie wide on his right with team-mates better placed, however when the sprightly mid-fielder left his marker for dead before flashing a shot to the near post all that central defender TERRY BOWKER could do was slide in and direct the ball past his own keeper. Five minutes later and Peers let fly himself only for Hartley to produce the save of the night, Pritchard finding the ball coming quickly at him could only slash his shot that only got cleared as far as Brown who drove the ball a whisker past the right upright.

Peers eventually gave way, after again a Foster un-cautioned challenge, to give James Turley his debut. Crowe then produced a lovely centre that Warlow really should have hit firmer instead of what was a perfectly timed sweep of the ball that Hartley saved comfortably. However the miss of the match was left to, of all Buxton’s players, Bowker in the additional stoppage time when he ballooned the ball well over with the goal gaping.

I’m proud to be a Wittoner anyway but today I’m even prouder than normal. I thought last night was one of the best matches we’ve ever played if you base it on sheer hard work, determination,our fitness levels and above all not reacting to the intimidating tactics of Buxton and the diabolical refereeing. I thought all the lads done well, played together as a team, helped each other,and Jim’s substitutions were brilliant because we needed to tighten up the midfield in the second half. Anyone who doubts our ability to defend will hopefully have seen after last night that we definately can.
Everyone played fantastic but I want to single out Ian Kearney who has not played much yet but was immense in midfield when we need him to be, Steve Brodie and Alex Brown who covered every blade of grass, Adam Warlow who worked really hard. Adam keep it up mate becuse the goals will flow I’m sure.That other youngster Pc Pritchard continues to keep doing well too 12 years after his debut!! Colussus, Mr Witton Albion, and now regular goalscorer the man is a playing legend.
One last word about our younger fans keep up the tremendous vocal support. I reckon you were worth a goal start last night, but above all keep it clean. we have a good reputation at the moment so lets keep it that way and not personally abuse refs no matter how bad or linesman either. Its tremendous at the moment so lets go to Ossett and get a result there.

Get in! Great result lads! Great to see that 100 odd wittoners there aswell! Lets keep this up boys! Come on Witton!

Could not make last night’s game as I was driving back from the South.

Interesting though that Kearney was brought on in midfield. JV has made Barras the captain this season (which one would assume makes him a first choice when fit), there is no way on earth you could consider dropping Pritch, so what happens to Kearney.

The lad is obviously a decent footballer - is he the midfield strength we are looking for (and he was right under our nose all along)? I must admit that at the moment I would select him ahead of Dillon. Don’t get me wrong I think Dillon has big potential but at the moment I think a few games coming on from the bench would do no harm.

Interesting.

Kearney was class, he chased, threw himself into blocks and challenges and gave us that valuable extra energy when it was badly needed.

However, Spearritt did this for 90 minutes, and was absolutely immense.

Kearney is an out and out defender - to ask him to start in midfiled is unfair - but he can come on in the later stages of the game and do a job as he did last night. Ian will get his chance at centre back and will stay there in my opinion.

The introduction of Dean Crowe last night created more chances and enabled us to wrap the game up. It is a squad game at all levels nowadays and we have a terrific one at the minute.

Is he an out and out defender?

It would not be beyond the realms of possibility for him to be suited to a midfield role - would it?

No it would not Rabbit but sometimes if it does not work out then it can ruin some players and that would be a pity because he is an outstanding defender.

Fair point and I am not saying we should be looking to put a square peg in a round hole, my question is more whether he is better suited to a midfield position than defence! I don’t know the answer to the question, might it be worth giving him a try in one of the less important Cheshire semi-senior-league-weekly Cup competitions?

One could argue that Tom S has played out of position for more than a season. With the arrival of Coo will Tom now be third or fourth choice centre half (behind Barras and Pritch) and where does that put Kearney? Tom was by all reports outstanding on Tuesday night, however Coo and also Royle will be fighting for the right back position.

Just throwing some thoughts into the hat! Kearney is very comfortable on the ball and strong (plus of course adds height when needed). Going back to my original point I think he might be worth trying. The good news about the above is that we have competition for places however footballers want to play every week or at leats to be in the frame.

Not 100% sure, but i thought i’d read when we signed Kearney that he has also played upfront a fair bit when at Radcliffe? Might be wrong though.

But as a good footballer then yes i think he could do a job - when required - as a holding midfield player. Tom did it last year for a few matches, and i’m sure Ian could do if required this year.

Tom S has been consistently one of our best players this season and at the moment he and Pritch are in command of the two central positions. Ironic that Tom was the player that should have been sent off against Telford not Ian ( case of mistaken identity ) ?
Would like to see Kearney and Baras together but patience is the name of the game - don’t mend whats not broken You are right Rabbit the lesser Cup ties are for experimenting because it will be a lomg season and we need to finish strongly unlike last season.

Now i’m no Andy Gray as you know, but i’m pretty sure you’re wrong on both counts :wink:

Commom knowledge i think that Witton tried on kearnys behalf to appeal but Telford would not allow Video evidence to be used .

I don’t believe the appeal was mistaken identity, I was talking to Ian about it after the Lincoln game, it was more the fact that no-one did very much and Foster is a cheating sh*t ;D

There was actually a posting by a Telford fan about the mistaken identity on this website but somehow it got deleted.
Can’t wait for the Fleetwood game I will defo be standing near u Greenie.

Careful, he has been known to get overly aggressive at times!!!

;D

Pussycat really ! Night night See u all at Osset