Former Players

Would love it if Chris stayed at the Albs great keeper

Goalkeeper Owen Evans who made five appearances for the Albion on loan from Wigan Athletic during the 2015/16 season, has signed a two-year deal with promoted Cheltenham Town. The 24 year-old spent time on loan at the Gloucestershire club last season and was part of the squad that achieved promotion to League One.

I believe Pre Season starts on Saturday so that may give us a clue as to who is and isn’t at the club this coming season. Hopefully Chris will realise Curzon are a struggling bottom end NLN club and another season at Witton would gain him more experience.

Midfielder Regan Griffiths who had a loan spell at Wincham Park last season has extended his contract with Crewe Alexandra until the end of the 2022/23 season. He’s recently returned from a loan spell with National League side Notts County.

Midfielder Jeff King appears to be on his way to Chesterfield after departing FC Halifax Town.

Witton Albion Football Club have confirmed that goalkeeper Chris Renshaw has departed Wincham Park to join National League North side Curzon Ashton.

We would like to thank Chris for his contribution to the club and wish him well for the future.

Oh well good luck Chris, a big miss for the Albs as I genuinely think he was the best in the league last season. UTA

Message on Twitter from Chris Renshaw.

Thanks @WittonAlbion for the last two years as well, great club and all the best for the future :heart:

Will be sorely missed. Good luck Chris.

Why is it all our ‘‘departing’’ players praise our club but we still lose them? Is it as Clint Eastwood says ‘‘For a few dollars more?’’ It is ruining non-league footy, but alas good luck to the lad!

Understand what you’re saying “Swampy” but whilst Chris was on loan at FC Halifax Town last season, he made no secret of his ambition to play at a higher level and indeed go full-time again.

With no disrespect to Curzon Ashton intended, the move did come as a bit of a surprise to me, as I felt he would move higher than the level he has gone to.

I don’t think Chris is chasing the cash, he always said he wanted to get back into full time football. Surprised he’s gone to Curzon as I don’t think they’re any bigger or better than Witton but good luck to Chris, and I hope we’re swapping places with Curzon next season then we could keep players of Chris’s calibre.

Defender Joel Bembo-Leta has joined North West Counties outfit Wythenshawe Town after spending last season at Ashton United.

For those of you with long memories - I bumped into former Albion winger Chris Chrimes yesterday - played in the late 60s/early 70s. He looks really well and is still living in the area. He played when football was a proper game.
GE

16 goals in 60 appearances between 1962/67. Just before I started watching the Albion, I saw my first game in the 1968/69 season.

Defender Scott Lycett has left Runcorn Linnets to join City of Liverpool FC.

FA Vase holders Warrington Rylands have announced the signing of former Witton striker Kyle Sambor.

Mike Koral has returned to 1874 Northwich after spending last season at Nantwich Town.

One-time Witton striker Griff Jones is back in football following his appointment as part of the new management team at FC St Helens Town.

Two players with Albion connections were amongst the goals again last weekend’s pre season friendlies. Jordan Cobley was on target for Barnton in a 4-0 win against Greenall’s, whilst former Albion Academy Student Oliver McDonough scored for Winsford United in their 5-1 victory over Maine Road.