Matlock v Witton Albion Tues 5th Feb

From the sound of it, Matlock were pressing us hard in the second half, but Adam’s goal killed it off.

Up the Albion!!

thanks for all the match updates.

BLOODY BRILLIANT - thats all that can be said
brilliant result keep it up lads

well done lads !!! :slight_smile:

Cracking first goal by Warlow, we played well first half, rode our luck in the second as we gave the ball away time and time again. We ground out a kind of result that all possible champions need. Got to give my MOM to JK. Three points more.
I think 104 points will be just enough to win the league, ;D
so we are just on target

Mr Vince said 88 points would probably be enough, another 7 wins and a couple of draws from last 13 games sounds not too difficult for this team. Personally I think 8 wins and a couple of draws will be needed giving us 91 points. I really cannot see either Gateshead or Fleetwood winning all their games in hand or anywhere near, the fixture congestion they are going to have,but hey, what do I know, I thought we were home last season.
WHS.

yes three very hard earned points tonight,agree jk man of match, also well done to the fans, very vocal tonight.thirteen more exciting league matches to go. ;D ;D ;D

only downside tonight NO BIG MAC. :cry:

Two downsides, Cat and Fiddle was closed :cry: well done to the lads a hard fought game, we should have had the game won in the first half and Matlock came at us in the second but we are always dangerous on the break and so it proved again.

Thought the first half showing was ok, more so when Cav was moved across to the left with Liam picking up their left winger who was up to then, causing us all kind of problems.
What can you say about Adam’s first goal, stunning, you will be hard pushed to see a better one this side of the Hawthorns! Second half to put it bluntly we were bloody awful.
Gave the ball away to easy and really struggled to string two passes together, the pitch certainly didnt help and the ref, well enough said. The goal that clinched it, great work by Mark, who was then fouled by the keeper, good advantage or was he not going to give us a pen, anyway, ball fell loose to Adam who shot into the empty net from the edge of the box
Final note some good banter with the 41 Barnet fans who’s game at Rochdale was called off at 6:00 and who’s presence brought along a couple of bobbies along to boost the gate. Good following and great result, onward we go.

Not many post-match comments ???

Second half wasn’t pretty but neither were the conditions. We defended very well and our substitutions were made at the right time and a well-timed second goal to calm the nerves (and that’s just on the terraces). Great first goal from Adam and a few excellent saves by JK last night - his handling was superb all night.

It was also the first match this season that we have had anyone cautioned for dissent. Whilst it was disappointing to lose that ‘record’ it is commendable that 7 months into the season have gone before we’ve picked cautions up for this.

Another good three points and another game gone.

GE

Who says refs aren’t human? it was mildly amusing last night to see the ref actually lose his temper with Lloydy the down side was that for the next 10 mins or so he gave everything to Matlock, so after a great run where dissent (and all cautions for that matter) maybe just a little reminder to the players that even refs can turn against you!

I think it’s pretty safe to say we weren’t ready for promotion last season. After last night i really think that we now are. Second half it was pretty much 1-way traffic, and i’m sure a year ago we would of buckled under the pressure that both Matlock and ourselves put us under. When we are trying to hold onto a 1-goal lead we do need to be more clever, and keep the ball better - but trying silly 2 yard passes on the edge of our own box isn’t the way to do this!!

As said previously, Adam’s first was a fantastic strike. And the run into the box from Brodie’s pass for the second was top-class too.

I was thinking last night when i got in, i’d never previously seen us win at Matlock.

Also; we’ve picked up points in games we lost last year (Fleetwood away, Kendal home, etc). However, we have not lost games we managed to pick up points last time out (we lost at Lincoln last year, didn’t play Eastwood).

Spot on GE. In a nothing incident sort of game the ref was poor imo, and as a result I can understand the dissent.

The way he did (and didn’t) play the advantage was bizarre to say the least.

I know its alien to us but sometimes putting your foot through the ball in defence as opposed to trying a ten yard pass on the deck is the best option.

We looked dangerous every time the ball was played into the channels, Morning looked useful in the 1st half.

I’m biased and whilst JK was outstanding a word of praise for the number 4 again - he was immense!

A word about the crowd, great travelling support (80ish i reckon) but thats the smallest,quietest Matlock crowd I can remember.

All in all job done good 3 pts on a poor pitch.

And now yer gonna believe us…

UniBond Premier Division – Tuesday February 5th 2008

MATLOCK TOWN 0 WITTON ALBION 2

Team: Kennedy; Coo, Pritchard, Barras, Brownhill; Peers, Lloyd (Kearney 82), Brown (MacPherson 64), Morning(Evans 69); Warlow & Brodie.

Man of Match: Jon Kennedy att. 304

Without the estimated ton of Wittoners and the busload of very noisy and entertaining Barnet fans, then the Causeway Lane attendance would have been an embarrassment for the home team that showed lots of energy and fight and but for some brilliant defending and saves may have at least earned a share of the spoils.

In the end though the final score-line epitomised Albion’s season of results. We, just like last year, bossed the opening half and got our noses in front, the Gladators lived up to their nick-name and last year got the equaliser. This time around not so, as Jon Kennedy and his fellow defenders made it 13 shut-outs for the league campaign.

Albion started off in full attacking mode with Steve Brodie playing in a supporting forward role with Rod Thornley away on England duty. A flurry of shots either struck limbs or were blocked en route to the target as Witton camped around the home penalty area for the first five minutes. A rare Town attack brought the first of the evening’s great saves from Kennedy as he tipped the well hit shot over. The danger to Albion was coming down the left and a shrewd piece of work by the bench saw, probably for the first time this season, Liam Brownhill – celebrating his 2nd England call-up – and Cavell Coo swap positions. This proved inspirational as Coo was being given a torrid time but hardly put a foot wrong on the left.

Also on the left Adam Morning seemed to thrive on the difficult soft and muddy patch he was operating on and so it was in the 18th minute that he took full advantage when Rob Lloyd’s hefty challenge on Steve Circuit saw the loose ball pounced on by the winger. He superbly picked out ADAM WARLOW at the right hand side of the area and the striker hit home yet another contender for goal of the season when he fairly lashed a shot behind keeper Martin Taylor that struck the underside of the crossbar and the inside of the far post on its way to goal.

Albion maintained their attacking mode throughout the half and on 33 minutes came closest to extending their lead when Lloyd spotted the opportunity but his shot just drifted wide of the left upright.

Most of the action of the second period was also directed to the bottom end of the pitch with Town striving to get back on level terms but whenever they managed to get past the twin mountains of Tony Barras and Brian Pritchard, Kennedy was more than equal to the task of preserving his clean sheet. The pick of his saves being a dive to his left to push the ball to safety.

An infrequent Albion sortie forward in the 70th minute saw Mark Peers’ break down the left before his cross from the by-line just evaded Warlow before falling to Brodie whose shot was blocked. Peers again was instrumental in the 83rd minute producing a brilliant piece of individualism by scooting along the muddy surface, cutting into the box leaving two defenders in his wake and delivering flashing a shot at goal that needed a deflection, not spotted by the match officials, to take it wide of the far post.

Jim Vince made all three substitutions at the right times that certainly helped stem the hold Town were having and the home team’s stamina finally was broken with two minutes of normal playing time remaining. Again it was Peers, benefiting from Brodie’s pass, this time from the right who broke into the danger area and with Tony Evans totally unmarked centre goal, the defender panicked, producing a clumsy challenge that surely would have brought a penalty kick, although whether Leicester referee Martin Dexter would have awarded one in the end didn’t matter as Peers somehow managed to partially recover and get another touch on the ball. Taylor came out to try and recover the ball but it rolled nicely into the path of ADAM WARLOW for the coolest of finishes for his 22nd goal of the season. The sheer delight then shown, especially from the bench and in particular goal-keeping coach Dave Millington’s bottom spinning, was fully evident around the ground.

Albion still went in search of a third goal and it took two fine saves from Taylor to deny Peers a deserved one. Firstly in the second minute of stoppage time he held onto a free-kick struck from the edge of the penalty area before producing his save of the night when diving to deny Peers just before the final whistle.

Very difficult to single out a Man of the Match this time, Adam Morning was certainly the pick for the first-half, Cavell Coo excelled when he changed positions, Steve Brodie produced an exhausting ninety minutes, Brian Pritchard was immense, Mark Peers came through superb in the final quarter, Adam Warlow with two more strikes and operating mainly as a lone striker but after full consideration the award goes to Jon Kennedy for performing even more brilliant than normal!

And so yet another mile-stone has been reached this season with this win marking Albion’s 200th away Northern Premier League victory. A very healthy 13 point lead has also been re-established and it could just be that these three points in the mid-week, when no other league matches are staged, might just have a massive effect on the chasing pack.

Totally agree with everything thats been said and to get 3 pts on a mudbath of a pitch like that is the sign of champions as we couldnt get our passing flowing football going yet we were still determined enough to win, the fans were great esp second half and the barnet boys certainley gave us some entertainment, my only prob now is wot to do on 16th feb got the chance to see my other team huddersfield play at chelsea in the cup or watch witton v gateshead!!! think il see u at wincham ;D

Matty, even more of a reason to be at W.P. Pritch could just be making his 605th appearance!

Well done Chad this is great as I missed last nights game due to work and home committments. I obviously celbrated last night when I saw the result on Sky but it was n’t till I logged on here at work this morning that I knew the detail and your report as always gives me that.
As for this result fantastic. I was expecting a draw certainly not a win so I’m over the moon. Another 3 points and by the sound of it the lads had to work really hard to get them. We do need to watch out in the second half though because I think these teams realise that they have to close us down quickly which I think is a factor in us giving the ball away a bit more. But what a team we have just brilliant. Rob Lloyd asked me how this team rated against any I’ve seen over the last 50 years at Witton and I’ve got to say I told him that this was certainly one of the best. The guys in 1990 might just shade it but as regards a team thats virtually been built from scratch without the Colne influence you have to say this is the best!! Who needs Mourinho we certainly don’t because we got Jim and Nige, Nige and Jim, Jim and Nige etc!!

On an extremely heavy pitch this was a championship winning performance. JK.Baras,Pritch and Warlow provided the backbone and the rest orchestrated by Rob Lloyd ( I’m sure i saw Nigel hand his b*llocks back to him when he was subbed ) never gave up. came strong at the end and deservedly took the 3pts. Mom - PRITCH.

PS Thank u Barnet fans for relieving some of the tension in the 2nd half.

From Matlock website;

Witton being Witton, well, they`re always going to be the side who never give you an inch. Big Pritchard at the back, nearly unbeatable

Have been critical of Pritch at times but I think this season he has been tremendous, never had one poor game so far, he his clearly on a mission for this club. Good to see opposition fans such as the Matlock ones recognising what he gives to WAFC.