Matlock v Witton Albion Tues 5th Feb

Another quote from a Matlock fan;

I think last night showed how far we are off. We played very well, but it was like a cup match against a higher level where we competed for a while and although we had a few chances you always felt Witton were in a low-gear and could have easily swept us aside had we actually scored. They were a different class to us; you cant believe a few months ago we were in the playoffs together.

Just taken a quick look at the remaining fixtures and can’t believe that Fleetwood have an unenviable TEN away games left to play (including Witton, Buxton, Marine and Gateshead) and with ‘tricky’ outings to Leek, Matlock and Lincoln etc.
Puts us in a great position with only FIVE aways to come !!
Just really need to keep our amazing home record going and we’re in with a fantastic chance.

A battling, efficient performance at Matlock that took us 1 step closer to the title. Showed enough class at the right time to come through and thought we contained Matlock pretty well. Thought Pritch and JK were immense and that Cav Coo also had a good game. Could be just the right time for a burst of Warlow goals too…!!

E I E I E I O!

Strange evening - not a great performance you would say (do I care at this stage when you get 3 points?) but on a heavy pitch in poor conditions.

I think in fairness though Matlock did what we have done for several years against top teams - played well, never disgraced but always unlikely to beat them as they had a lot of the ball but did very little with it. Despite their pressure we possibly had more clear cut chances?

What I did want to comment on was what I thought was a bizare change of mood when that 2nd goal went in. I felt as I think eveyone else did that we are actually going to make the play offs! Seriously did anyone else suddenly realise something!

1 game at a time though.

Possibly the best quote on Matlock’s site… "Near the end in the second half Barra got to the buy line and ran the ball out of play as the fat central defender (how good must he have been when he was younger and fitter) got his gut in the way"

Some great comments here and I too have read what the Matlock fans think. Its a measure of how good our team is that they think we are in a diffrent class to them. What Jim and Nige have done this season is just fantastic. Having lost players and Benny to Bradford Park Albion I can honestly say we’ve not missed any of them and have in fact improved. I’m just on a high about us at the moment and like everyone else I just hope we concentrate on playing the next game and not worry about what the other teams are doing. A further straight 8 home wins and maybe a couple of victories away should win us this league and that is not beyond us.
As for our number 4 he’s been immense for us since Sept 1995!! not just this season. The lad I saw start with us is now a man and a colussus. You can see the deteminination every time he goes out onto the pitch. I might have seen more skilfull players for us but none have compared to Pritch when it comes down to giving 120% committment in every game even friendlies!! I just can’t pay Brian enough compliments he just sums up everything good in football and life and its a pity that people who actually play for the national team on megloads of money are’nt like him!!

One highlight missed off here is Yox climbing onto Dave C’s shoulders to put the Pritchard flag up!!! Comedy gold!!

It’s been preserved on camera, Keith was on the ball and has sent both myself and Mark Lyon the set of photos from the match already. Just a shame he didn’t get Milly’s celebratory bum spin. Wonder whether our match video guy did?

Another quality quote from Matlock’s forum

"Pritchard’s always been that fat and that bald come to think of it! He always has Barra in his back pocket though. For me he’s the best centre half in the Unibond by miles."

Nuff said :wink:

I couldnt make it on Tuesday, but after reading the reports about the match and fans, I have posted this on the Barnet website on behalf of the Witton Supporters. I hope it meets with your approval. http://www.bfcsa.co.uk/

Good job done there John8b. 8)

matlocks view of the game.
in my view its nice to see an unbias report from our opponents. :slight_smile:

Matlock Town 0-2 Witton
Matlock gave their all with a battling display against the league leaders but an Adam Warlow brace consigned the Gladiators to a third successive defeat at the Geoquip Stadium on Tuesday night.

The Albion had lost just two league games all season and it was easy to see why.

They are a hard working, well drilled outfit, uncompromising at the back and with some pace and flair going forward.

But Matlock deserve credit for pushing them all the way and after a disappointing result and second half performance at North Ferriby on Saturday, the Town players gave a positive response.

With a little more luck, they could have breached an Albion defence, who at times looked like creaking, but managed to save themselves at the last moment with a timely interception or save from their excellent goalkeeper Jon Kennedy.

The Gladiators made three changes to their starting line up from the weekend.

Steve Taylor and Neil Ashley were replaced by Ben Kistell and Matty Caudwell, but the main talking point was the omission of goalkeeper Andy Richmond.

The former Chesterfield stopper has had a tough time lately, so joint bosses Phil Brown and Gareth Williams gave understudy Martin Taylor a chance to shine and he did not let them down.

As Albion laid siege to the Matlock goal in the opening minutes, thanks
largely to the speedy breaks down the left by Adam Morning, Taylor excelled in only the second minute, not only stopping, but holding a fiercely struck effort from Steve Brodie after a Rob Lloyd strike had been charged down.

Gary Webster thought he had found the target, but Kennedy’s magnificent fingertip save prevented the shot from screaming into the top corner.

Then Caudwell and Simon Barraclough combined on the left and Barraclough skipped around the back of the Albion defence only to see his cross forced away, with Matlock fans rather optimistically shouting for a spot kick for handball against long serving Brian Pritchard.

Matlock had responded spiritedly to Witton’s whirlwind start and were more than holding their own, but they suffered a setback on 18 minutes when Warlow got the better of Lukic to smash in a fearsome cross drive from the right which found the net off the underside of the bar.

In the build up Circuit had been robbed by Alex Brown on the half way line.

Some referees would have penalised Brown, Leicester’s Mr Dexter didn’t and Witton received that little bit of good fortune that top sides get against a team badly in need of a victory.

Within two minutes of the restart, there was a sign of things to come as a Webster cross suddenly sat up in front of Kennedy who had to produce a top class save to scramble the ball away at the expense of a corner.

Taylor was then called into action, tipping over a Brodie effort which should have produced a Witton corner rather than a Gladiators goal kick and then holding a Mark Peers drive.

But Matlock, who enjoyed the lion’s share of the second half possession, swept forward again and Riley smacked his 20-yarder inches wide after a corner had only been partially cleared.

The 4-5-1 had done its job in restricting the Witton threat and Town looked more dangerous than of late through the centre, but there were times that an extra forward was needed to support Barraclough who was the lone striker.

Kennedy was again ideally placed to grasp a curling free kick by Webster, and Barraclough foraged hard to lay the ball off for Kistell who shot at Kennedy and shortly afterwards Lukic rose to head goalwards only for Pritchard to nod the ball over his own bar.

There was more alarm for Witton from the corner as Webster drove hard and true, and this time Kennedy knew little about the cannon save off his legs.

Peers, being watched recently by a number of scouts from higher placed clubs, caused consternation in the Town defence with a run and cross shot from the left which Taylor did well to get his hand to.

But it was Warlow who sealed the match with two minutes left.

Albion broke at pace from another Gladiators corner and Webster looked to have done just enough to put off Peers as he homed in on Taylor.

But the run of the ball favoured Witton and Warlow stroked in an accurate low shot to finally kill off the gallant Gladiators.

3-0 would have been a total injustice for Matlock’s efforts and Taylor ensured this didn’t happen with a fine save from Peers at the death.

A good effort from Matlock who will play far worse and win.

Matlock Town: M Taylor, Laight, Davis,(S Taylor 78), Circuit, Hannigan, Lukic (Hall 83), Webster, Riley, Kistell, Barraclough, Caudwell. Other Sub: Fearon.
Referee: M C Dexter (Leicester)
Attendance: 304
Star Man: Gary Webster.

I don’t understand how the Matlock fans are praising their keeper so much. I thought he spilt or dropped everything we sent his way?! Wonder how bad their other keeper is…