Stamford

F.A. Carlsberg Trophy ?3rd Qual ? Saturday November 25th 2006<br><br>STAMFORD AFC ?0 ?WITTON ALBION ?3 ? ?att 306<br>TEAM: Kennedy: Spearritt, Pritchard, Barras, Brownhill; Gahgan, Lloyd, Connors, Peers (Bowler 67); Moseley (Jones G. 71), Warlow. ? Sub n/u Brown Alistair, Hockenhull & Hendricks <br><br>Man of Match ?Chris Gahgan <br><br>Albion took to the field to a crescendo of noise and a plethora of yellow balloons. The team?s actual response to this magnificent support took less than 7 minutes. Mark Peers?s cross field ball fell nicely to CHRIS GAHGAN at the right edge of the penalty area, he controlled well and with no defender offering a challenge took it on himself to produce a low shot that seemed to leave keeper Ian Pledger perplexed as the ball squeezed in at the near post.<br>Just two minutes later though Stamford?s only real clear cut chance was spurned after Jon Kennedy?s uncharacteristic poor clearance fell right to striker Garath Pritchard, with the goal begging he hesitated and when eventually shooting Kennedy made amends when smothering the effort.<br><br>Peers on 19 minutes cut in from the left before sending a low shot narrowly wide of the near post. 3 minutes later the match referee mad his only real blunder of the whole afternoon, Rob Lloyd having burst through was pushed to the ground by substitute Kevin Childs, who?d only been on the field a minute. However much to 100+ people?s displeasure Cambridgeshire based Mr McCaul saw nothing wrong with the challenge! <br><br>In a five minute spell just before the break the tie should have been virtually settled, Gahgan again creating havoc, Pledger committed himself the ball landing nicely to Lloyd but he took an extra touch with the goal at his mercy and his effort was blocked with the ball bouncing around the box for several seconds before Stamford finally cleared the danger. Mike Moseley then got himself into a good position but appeared to rush his turn and consequently fired well over the target.<br><br>The penalty kick curse then reappeared just after the hour mark. This time Child?s foul on Lloyd correctly given but Steve Connors spot-kick was blocked by Pledger who then dived to deny Gahgan?s follow up shot. This gave the Daniels a bit of impetus and they enjoyed their best and really only few minutes, the best they could come up with though were shots over the bar.<br><br>Albion?s second goal came on 70 minutes following a foul on Adam Warlow. Lloyd beautifully directed the ball behind the defence and there was BRIAN PRITCHARD launching himself to power a header past the stricken keeper. Cue massive celebrations on and off the park!<br><br>With ten minutes left a Gahgan corner from the right was deflected nicely to substitute GRIFF JONES who lashed the ball into the roof of the net from close range to seal the victory. There was still time though for Pritchard to try an audacious volley that the keeper saved.<br><br>What a time then for the coachload of supporters who celebrated for an hour in Stamford?s club with their heroes before commencing the long trip home. No doubt, very hoarse, very merry but very very happy. ? ? ? <br>

Fantastic day and well done to the team for the win.<br><br>A particular ‘well done’ to the supporters today who sang and cheered from the minute they set foot in the ground to their departure including a medley of songs from the players in the club afterwards [what was Mr Barras singing???]<br>Their support was the best I’ve heard from the Witton youth since the '60s and they were all a credit to Witton Albion FC.<br><br>Well done everybody.<br><br>GE<br>

Clitheroe lost 10-1 away at Kettering in the FA trophy today.<br>Is that a good or bad omen for our up and coming game against them ???

What a game, and what a result !!! Mind you i don`t think that ginger Roy will remember too much of the game. Not only was he very drunk. But he also fell over and banged is head. <br>In the end we managed to get old Ginger to his feet and into his flat. ;D

Fantastic performance, result and atmosphere.<br>Several Stamford supporters admitted we deserved it and wished us well.<br>That chant of "Jimmy Vince’s Yellow Army" must have lasted 5 minutes!<br>Well done to all.<br>

What happened yesterday??<br>I remeber being in penny black at 9am and getting home bout midnight!<br>I dont know what happened in between! :o

What happened yesterday??<br>I remeber being in penny black at 9am and getting home bout midnight!<br>I dont know what happened in between! :o

Is there an echo on this forum Yox? ?<br><br>Anyway, the witton boys may not of gone near any of their women, but we certainly drank all their beer! ?Full credit to Stamford for putting up with us all day. ?Was speaking to their manager after the game who was VERY complimentary about both the team and the support. ?They had us watched against Stalybridge, and had been worried about trying to stop Hendrix. ?Should of been more concerned with that boy Chris Gaghan!<br><br>I can barely speak today, but it was well worth it. ?Was without doubt as enjoyable a day out as i have had as a witton fan. ?We outclassed them on either side of the perimeter fence. ?the team were fantastic, and i must say we are looking much better drilled at the back lately. ?I have confidence of a result no matter who we play at the minute.<br><br>Let’s all do the Crouchy Let’s all do the Crouchy!!! <br>Where’s your famous Stamford Band?!?<br>Witton boys we are here whoa whoa!!

The Stamford message board claims the official gate yesterday was 306.

Sore Throat, Empty Wallet!!<br><br>Great day!<br><br>Thank you to all who supported the coach, and special mention to Robbo and Big Stu who donated part of their winnings back to the fund!<br><br>As days go it doesn’t get much better.<br><br>Well done to Jim and Benny, Benny and Jim (Paddy and Max!) and all the players for a comprehensive,disciplined performance!

One of the heartwarming days that have come round too seldom in recent years. Well worth the long drive there and back to support a group of players that really wanted to win and who have shown a real pride in playing for our club. Thank you.

Big days out always leave everyone with the odd ‘random memory’ not associated with the actual match. I think mine will be Jim powell using the only toilet at the services with no door to the cubicle. I’m scarred for life after that sight!!

Woodley Sports should be no problem providing we don’t get another streaker!!!<br>WHS.

The lads rendition of "Sweet Caroline" and "All shook up"on the coach coming back still reverberates in memory. ;D<br> What a day!!

A fantastic day all round and well done to everyone, it was great just being amongst it all.<br><br>Yes I struggled and I’m paying for it now physically but what the heck guys, it was all worthwhile.<br><br>My lasting memory of the whole day was in the club afterwards when supporters asked for a song from JK, he replied with a rendition of "Witton till I die." Was he trying to tell us something I wonder!

Recent events have now shown just how good our performance and victory was at Stamford as following this weekend’s results, they currently sit third in the BGB Premier Division table.

There now top!

[smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif]