Telford game

A rare common sense decision by a referee. Witton are a footballing side, Telford play the long ball, play on a mudbath would only suit them and not Witton’s fluent football. Its a great shame as everyone was up for it, but surely we would rather beat them playing a proper game than a game on a bad pitch.

Safety has to come first, just wonder about the personnel situation - Foster will be back for them, we may be without Connors and Brown.

Still should get a good preview in the Guardian :wink:

According to the Unibond website the CC Cheshire Senior Cup Final at Witton Albion 19:45 Cammell Laird vs. Northwich Victoria is next Tuesday.

Well said Stu!! Shift the final elsewhere. Unless Connors and Brown would be missing for that Tuesday?? Can’t we play the reserves on sat at fleetwood and get a league game in?!?

GUTTED!!! Got four extra supporyers coming tonight as well. Personally I think we should play it as the last game, what a night that would be as a championship decider. Mind you, I think we will be champions long before the last game.
WHS.

well said stu. it was wrong to call it off so early there has not been a drop of rain since. does the ref not know we have sprucie the country’s leading groundsman. !!!COME ON THE ALBION!!!

Pitch inspection should never have been an issue today.

I know for a fact that we had some lorry side curtains given to the club by Andy Chads firm a few years back. These were meant to be used on the known problem areas on our pitch to avoid situations like today.

Why weren’t they put down?

Telfords game was delayed half an hour on saturday while they worked on their pitch, seems a 1pm or 2pm pitch inspection today is ridiculous.

Today was an opportunity to play the league leaders (who are top because they are a good side) at a time when they are having a bad spell and when we are on top form ( saturdays blip excluded) and really put the pressure on them if we had won.

Telford will not play the way they are doing at present for all their remaining games this season.

I only hope we can continue the form we have shown recently as we may have to have won all of our games that are left come the end of the season title decider. Heres hoping anyway.

Rant over, going to have to get p155ed watching the other Mighty Reds tonight.

man utd arent playing tonite, thats 2mra :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I’ve not seen the pitch today but Sunday morning at 10.30am it was in a pretty bad state then and needed to dry out and rolling (by my mimimal grounds knowledge)
Gettin the tractor on it would be a no go and I guess the covers over the bad patches may have prevented them drying out given the wind?
We like to think we have a good pitch - it aint bad but patches were looking very worse for wear after Saturdays game.

As for the rearrangment - next Tuesday ? Never know it might upset conman and it gives us that 7 days that the league need for rearrangements? Similarly any chance of say Radcliffe away instead - there were only 3 league games tonight so there must be a fair few with gaps?

Why call a game off at 1.00?
It rained a bit, but an afternoon of sunny, windy weather should have helped clear the pitch, with a few volunteers.
What is that nickname the Vics fans use to describe the ground?

when i got back home i came straight on here making sure that the game was still on, but when i read the game was off i was gutted and especially because they made the decision so early in the day, i was all hyped up for this game and was looking forward to another three points and an excellent game but i guess when we play this fixture later on we should all be looking even more forward to the game than the days before this.

oh well at least the scum got beat 2nite ;D ;D :smiley: :smiley: ;D :smiley: ;D :smiley: ;D :smiley: ;D :

>:(

Gutted, a 12 hour door to door journey of 3,500 miles, only to walk out of Terminal 2 at Manchester at 7.13pm (perfect timing to make it to Fortress Wincham by kick-off), to find out that the match had been called off! All of my perfect planning down the drain (which is more than can be said for the water on our pitch).

Not even the consolation of Liverpool or Chelski going out of Europe to cheer me up. The only slight silver lining to the rain clouds was V*** being one nil up away at York to then lose 2-1, ha ha!

Noticed also for anyone with the slightest bit of interest that Shaun Whalley got a 90 minute equaliser for Accrington tonight, if he scores a few more then it will all add to his future value and our percentage share - good lad!

Any chance of getting Gregs pic on here - it rained more than a bit!

SG I am sure like the rest of us, you were gutted the match was off. But the pitch was not fit
and your posting shows how little you know about pitch maintenance, I suggest you come down to the ground on a Sunday and help the volunteers who do their darn best day in day out.
ME

Picture of the pitch take during the inspection yesterday :o :o :o

ME, i think the point being made by SG is that everyone accepts that the pitch was unplayable, but that maybe had covers been laid on the pitch on monday night it could of been avoided. Also i think alot of people will find it hard to understand that the game was called off at 1pm, but we then had one of the nicest evenings of the year so far weather-wise!!

But in all fairness to the groundstaff, it’s our first postponed game of the season so we’ve not done too bad so far.

ME

Try reading my first post again.

I think you will find that what i am saying is that prevention is better than a cure.

I was not having a go at the volunteers that help with pitch maintenance. I know how much time they give up every week to ensure that we all enjoy a good game of football on a Saturday.

I have seen the state of the pitch yesterday and agree that it was unplayable.

When we have had something donated to the club to try and help with these situations would it not make sense to use them.

It may have been unplayable at 1.00 pm but what about at 5.00p.m. or 7.45 pm??? The decision was taken far too early.

ME - Everyone appreciates the groundstaffs long, unseen hours but it does frustrate the hell out of me that I supplied covers to be used on a cricket style basis, to avoid some of the surface water problems. These appear to have been discarded.

I think the bottom line is everyone is just massively frustrated by yesterdays postponement.

Everyone was frustrated that the match was off last night. I would imagine the management team were delighted as I have said before there is no way Witton want to play on mudbaths, it does not suit the style of football we have been accustomed to. So I believe it was a good decision and hopefully when the match is rearranged, whenever, it will be a good pitch and that proper football can be played. Am pretty sure it wont be next Tuesday.