v Runcorn fans - 5th anniversary year!

Plans are afoot for this season’s supporters game at Runcorn.

Hoping to make it a bit of a celebration this time around as it is going to be the 5th year of playing this fixture.

Currently Witton are 3 - 2 in the series, having won the 3 games at WP but losing the 2 games at Runcorn,

It would be great this year to be the first team to win away!

As soon as i have more details i will post them. But in the meantime, if anybody who has played in any of these games has any suggestions for ways to mark the occasion then please share them on here.

A podcast special?

Well that’s a given…

Well maybe something to do with the memory of Tony Waterman, seeing as he was major involvement in the Charity Walk to Runcorn!? Maybe name the Cup after him? or raise money for a charity in his name?

I’m sure we can do something along those lines, providing Tony’s family are ok with it.

Any update regarding this?

At Runcorn in July - date TBC.

Currently penciled in for Sunday 28th July at Wincham Park (Runcorn were unable to accommodate us).

Kick off 1pm.

Always a cracking fixture, this will be our 5th year of what is always a game played in an excellent spirit.

Winner take the Legends Cup home for 12 months - it is currently residing in my spare room!

Witton currently 3 - 2 up in the series, should be a cracking day.

Will we be having a training session/kick about?

Be rude not to…

A great deal of what I have read on this forum in recent weeks has concentrated on the most unsavoury incident I can remember at this football club. At times it feels as though what is so great about Witton Albion has somehow been lost or forgotten.

A non-league football club is never about it’s players. They come and go. Regardless of how talented they are, whether they are “good lads” or not, or how much they interact with you on social media…the truth is that this is their job, and when they get a better offer they will leave the Club as quickly as they left their last one (with some notable exceptions of course).

A non-league football club is about the people that are still here when the players move on. The volunteers; the supporters; the people who keep the club going year on year until they are no longer able to do so.

Never is this more true than at Witton Albion.

Which is why I am delighted that after discussions with his daughter Debbie, we will play our game against the Runcorn supporters on the 28th July in Tony Waterman’s memory.

Further to this, the trophy which we play for each year will also be renamed The Tony Waterman Memorial Trophy.

To give you some background on this fixture, we first played this game 5 years ago when Runcorn were ground sharing with us. Both sets of fans thought it important to maintain a relationship once the groundshare arrangement came to an end, as as Vics were no longer able to field a supporters team (after we beat them at what is now Thor Chemicals), Runcorn became our regular opponents.

As it stands, the fixture has been held 3 times at Wincham Park (all 3 games won by Witton), and twice at Runcorn (both games won by Linnets). This year we were due to meet once again in Runcorn, but unfortunately we were not able to use their stadium, and Mark Harris generously stepped in to allow us to play at Witton.

To continuously keep this fixture alive for the past 5 years has taken a lot of hard work and a great relationship between the two sets of fans. This is something which we are looking forward to celebrating.

Anybody who took part in last year’s sponsored walk will appreciate the hard work that Tony put in, and his fantastic support to all the walkers on the day.

Currently it does not look as though the walk to Runcorn will be held this year, as the senior clubs could not agree on a suitable date for their annual pre-season friendly.

We hope therefore that this game will provide suitable stop-gap whilst plans are made to organise an alternate walk later in the season.

We do plan on the day to have a bucket collection for the Joshua Tree, who were the recipients of last year’s sponsorship.

I am very proud to be involved in this game, and hopefully as many of you as possible and come down and cheer us on.

Excellent post, Robbo I could not agree with you more :ohmy:
The club is all about it’s supporters and of course the volunteers who without there would be no football club.
Tonee was one of the best and is sorely missed, a fitting tribute to a big man with a big heart.
:clap

Wow that really has hit me on what has happened over the last few weeks, I think that this gesture is an incredible thank you to a great Wittoner, and has made me think of some of the great Wittoners that are no longer with us.

I will be involved in the Charity Game in anyway you need me to be mate!?

You were part of the squad last year mate, so feel free to be in it again this time.

Count me in :slight_smile:

We have had our differences Robbo but there can be no doubt whatsoever you are a FANTASTIC Wittoner!!
WHS.

Fantastic post Robbo.

This forum has been a bastion of negativity for the last month or so, which is why I’ve avoided posting or reading it for that matter.

Reading that has restored my faith in the club and I’m sure Tony would have been very proud, but it’s no less than he deserves.

I’ll be down :clap

Supporters Team training to be held on Wednesday 17th @ 7.30pm.

Provisionally on the training pitches behind Witton, subject to availability.

Session to be taken by local-boy-made-good Ben Harrison.

All welcome.

If you are wanting to be involved in the Tony Waterman memorial Trophy game then please try and make it to the training session, not least because Ben has agreed to give up his time for the evening.

Thanks.

Have you spoken to planty see if he will do any work with goalkeepers for you am sure if he can he would love help?

Supporters training now at Moss Farm. 7.30pm Wednesday 17th.

Please note the change of venue