Witton vs Leek

Crikey that was a helluva boring day without a game!<br><br>Anyone out there up for doing updates on Tuesday?<br>If not Stu can you work you magic again please?

witton 3 leek4

It seems the Football Gods wanted retribution for us stealing the game at Woodley, but why oh why do we always commit suicide when we have got more people to come along and watch? 401 would have been 601 had we won, now it will be back down to 250 again. The players let us down badly today and John Kennedy will never make such a howler again, how can the safest keeper in the league do such a thing? Sorry to go on, but like so many Wittoners I am sure, I am SO upset at that result. A win at Fleetwood is now vital. <br>PS Mr. VInce, it was obvious at Woodley that without Connors we could not handle playing with two wingers, so why did you do it again today? Brown and Lloyd were swamped again because Cagahan and the lad from Crewe simply did not help out defensively.<br>WHS<br>WHS.

what happened today, we need to kill off games if we want to make the play-offs. <br>JK had a howler which was wierd as he is usually the most reliable player on the pitch. Spearitt needs to be dropped in my opinion? (sorry if anyone disagrees with that, just my opinion) he is third in the pecking order so just gets put at right back where he isn’t comfortable, he was also lucky not to conceed what i thought should have been a penalty no attempt to get the ball as he was clearly beaten for pace.<br>Just a darn shame we cant keep the bumper crowd we had today- our own worst enemies at times.<br>Need to pick it up now and start playing the football we are capable of.

what was john kennedy playiong at defenitly not on his game some 1 sort him out<br>

what a game today enjoyed every minute especially when we scored the fourth. safest hands in the league you must be joking. the dodgest hands in the league maybe. What was up with alex brown today i thought he tried to get leek’s players sent off and derserved at least a yellow. 401 u havin a laugh [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif] [smiley=applause_smiley.gif]

With 70 minutes played you were 3-1 up against lowly Leek who were in drop zone (a neutral might comment that the game at this stage was killed off.)<br><br>Fortunately, the Leek players had not read the script managed to pull off an outstanding victory, all this despite the ref who missed the lino waving for an obvious penalty.<br><br>Anyone happy to come away with 3 much needed points as now seems more and more the case when we visit you.<br><br>All the best for the rest of the season and hopefully can continue in the same vein to gain further points to yield Unibond prem football next season.

Yep JK had a nightmare today, the best keeper we have had for years it happens, no way spearitt should be at left back he should be in the middle with Pritch who should be team captain the defence and midfield were @@@@<br>, due to injuries this is my team to play next<br> 1 JK<br>2 DH<br>3 LB<br>4 Pritch (Capt)<br>5 Spearitt<br>6 Connors<br>7 CG<br>8 Brown<br>9 Adam WARLOW (only borrowing MMs number)<br>10 Griff<br>11 McGuire<br>Sorry lads today was abysmal

Well cheesed off but hey, it was just a bad a day at the office.Jk had a bad game but he is still a very good goal keeper.This is football.We were out of sync in every way. May be because our talisman Mr. Vinceo wasn’t there[on holiday]. :cry:

No excuse for today, we threw away 3 points. Leek are NOT a good side. They WILL be relegated. So we got beat AT HOME against the league’s bottom club. Just not good enough.<br>At 3 - 1 the game should of been killed off. The game was won. OK so JK made a massive error which brought it back to 3 - 2, but with the experience Pritch and Barras have we should not be losing this game.<br>Regards Spearritt, ok he is not putting in his best performances at right back, however he is NOT a right back anyway. It is not his fault that he is being played there. We cannot keep putting square pegs in round holes just to fit everyone in. If you are not good enough in your favoured position, then i’m sorry but you’re on the bench sunshine.<br>I’m really annoyed with today’s result because we have been beaten by a poor team. We now HAVE to win at Fleetwood. For me Connors is straight back into the side.<br>Today big players like JK, Alex Brown, and that boy Chris Gaghan had under-par games and that cost us. Some of the other players need to step up and be counted when we get into this situation.

Well,was looking forward to that for ages but what a s**t day.Nevermind its only a game,we were due a bad one soon anyway,still cant complain bout this season so far.Where was Jim tho??Everyone knows you dont take holidays during football season!!<br>Heres something cheer us up!!<br>http://www.nvfc.co.uk/board/index.php?topic=4201.0&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Dirty Northwich,Ben Connett in goal haha fat …!!!

Oh and Tom_LTFC and Armchair_Fan.have a good season.You wont get many more gifts like that!

I was told after the game Conners was dropped for not turning up for training. Don’t know if true or not, but if so, not a good enough reason to break up a winning team.

Steve Connors completed his suspension today.<br><br>GE<br>

Very disappointing wasn’t it, yep I’m still gutted.<br>Should have been dead and buried but as stated above we dropped 2 howlers which we see so rarely - had we been gifed 2goals like that against anyone I’m pretty confident we’d get 3 points!<br><br>1 swallow doesnt make a season, 1 defeat is not a disaster but normal service needs to be resumed and a top 5 place consolidated staring at fleetwood.<br>cheers Graham I thought that today but no one agreed with me - playing lloyd and brwn we are too lightweight in the middle - I think its showed the last 2 games.

[quote]No excuse for today, we threw away 3 points. ?Leek are NOT a good side. ?They WILL be relegated. ?So we got beat AT HOME against the league’s bottom club. ?Just not good enough.
At 3 - 1 the game should of been killed off. ?The game was won. ?OK so JK made a massive error which brought it back to 3 - 2, but with the experience Pritch and Barras have we should not be losing this game.
Regards Spearritt, ok he is not putting in his best performances at right back, however he is NOT a right back anyway. ?It is not his fault that he is being played there. ?We cannot keep putting square pegs in round holes just to fit everyone in. ?If you are not good enough in your favoured position, then i’m sorry but you’re on the bench sunshine.
I’m really annoyed with today’s result because we have been beaten by a poor team. ?We now HAVE to win at Fleetwood. ?For me Connors is straight back into the side.
Today big players like JK, Alex Brown, and that boy Chris Gaghan had under-par games and that cost us. ?Some of the other players need to step up and be counted when we get into this situation.[/quote]<br><br>sour grapes robbo. it was only 4-3<br>

UniBond League Premier Division ? Tuesday December 26th 2006<br><br>WITTON ALBION ?3 ?LEEK TOWN ?4 ? ?att 401<br><br>TEAM: Kennedy: Spearritt (Hockenhull 90), Pritchard, Barras, Brownhill; Gahgan, Lloyd, Brown Alex; Warlow, Jones G., Miller (Frost 63). ? Sub n/u Brown Alistair <br><br><br>For a fixture that generally produces very few goals then for neutral?s and the surprisingly small number of Leek fans, that made the short journey, alike then this match proved to be a Christmas treat.<br><br>As regards the Albion well it served to remind them all to keep their concentration throughout. An early goal, gaining a 3-1 lead, two catastrophic errors that brought the scores level again and then conceding an injury time goal from another set-piece. All this lead to them suffering only their second home reverse of the season following a 16 match run and certainly not what was wanted with 350+ of their own supporters looking on!<br><br>The afternoon ?had started very brightly indeed when, with the turnstiles still merrily clicking, the 2nd minute saw Rob Lloyd?s headed attempt cleared only as far as Chris Gahgan, his shot was blocked ?but the ball flew across the face of the goal and there was SHAUN MILLER steaming in at the far post to apply the finishing touch on his home debut. <br><br>A very lenient referee then only spoke to Robert Hawthorne whose crude challenge as Liam Brownhill was about to enter the penalty area really deserved a yellow card. Lloyd?s resultant free-kick easily cleared. On 12 minutes it was a Leek free-kick that brought the equaliser. The ball, perfectly flighted from wide on the left, being met by the head of ?want away? veteran Dave MacPherson and entering the net off the inside of the post. <br><br>15 minutes later following good link play between Miller and Gahgan the latter?s cross box pass somehow evaded all four of the incoming Albion players. Miller then produced some twinkling footwork when cutting along the by-line his cross seeing Adam Warlow?s effort go narrowly wide. Miller himself then went close with a header from a superb Tom Spearritt lob. <br><br>Despite all their possession it had been the visitors who were gaining corner kicks and it was the 43rd minute when Witton got their first of the game. Goalkeeper Peter Collinge saving well when Gahgan?s flag kick saw Warlow hit a rising shot. Referee Stokes, who?d lectured former Albion player Dave Tickle twice, the challenge on Warlow again should have seen a caution, at last produced a yellow card showing it to Darryl Proffitt when Brownhill again was unceremoniously scythed down. <br><br>CONTINUED…

Albion commenced the second period in similar style to the first, Lloyd whipped in a shot that was hoofed away and the next attack saw Miller shoot narrowly wide. Just after the hour mark stand-in manager Benny Phillips brought Carl Frost on and just like the previous match at Woodley the move appeared to be repeating the result. Frost himself went close following a good 1-2 from Spearritt and Gahgan and then the next attack saw the winger shot clutched by Collinge. Frost again linked with Gahgan the keeper parrying the ball over the crossbar. The resultant 68th minute corner floated by Gahgan and perfectly met by Brian Pritchard, who having with 539 appearances now equalled John Goryl?s own achievement, headed goalwards and GRIFF JONES nipped in to provide the finishing touch. <br><br>Just three minutes later the result looked to have been settled when ADAM WARLOW burst through the middle and despatched a shot hard enough to still enter the net despite Collinge getting his right hand to it. Seemingly comfortable with their 3-1 advantage their looked no danger when a high ball from the left in the 75th minute looked simple for Jon Kennedy. ?Inexplicably the normally so sure custodian fluffed the catch and there was substitute Alan Nagington quickly in to tap the ball in and thus record his third strike against Albion in as many games.<br><br>All Albion hearts were in their mouths following a challenge by Spearritt on Carl Rendell, the assistant was waving furiously but the referee seemed to indicate to him that no offence committed and so before he could place the flag across his chest indicating he thought it was a penalty the flag went down. However with five minutes of normal time remaining Collinge came to meet a through ball and after being very fortunate when he sliced his initial clearance into the back of Warlow, the ball rebounding back to him and was booted up-field. Pritchard did look to have misjudged his backward header to avert the danger but when Kennedy went to ground to gather the ball the threat momentarily disappeared but out popped the ball and following a scrimmage former Albion favourite Carl Rendell was left with the simple task of bringing the scores level.<br><br>Two minutes into the extra four allotted Frost cleverly worked the ball over his head on the by-line and onto Warlow?s head centre-goal but the leading scorer saw his effort saved by Collinge. Play quickly moved to the other end, Leek won yet another corner and this time up there was left sided defender Steve Brannan to head past the flat footed Albion defence. Still there was time left on the clock and Albion launched forward and when Gahgan prodded the ball home the joy quickly disappeared when the assistant referee flagged for an offside, a whole posse of Witton players were present up front but it didn?t appear that Gahgan was offside himself. ?<br><br>In the end then Leek, who came to Wincham Park 11 months earlier in similar circumstances and bottom of the table, went away with all three points and with their loyal bunch of supporters rendering their rendition of the theme from the ?Great Escape? then with the guts they showed then maybe their mammoth feat ?will be repeated! <br>

I totally agree with Neil, but I don’t blame Lloyd and Brown, the two lads playing wide gave them virtually no help at all, when we defend they should move inside to assist not stay out wide, they should move out wide once the ball is won back. The greatest disaster about the result is that it will adversely effect the next gate, we could have expected 600 or so with two wins from the last two games of 2006, now we are probaly back to square one, which means the loss of valuable income.<br>WHS.

Are people really that fickle?<br><br>We all have our own opinions of who should be playing where and whats wrong with the team,(IMO minor adjustments not wholesale changes as in previous years)<br><br>We really aren’t very good at accepting defeat!<br><br>But ultimately the result was down to individual errors which you just can’t legislate for.<br><br>Leek deserved a draw but nicked a win thats football, on reflection no different to the game earlier in the season at Leek, where we got a win when a draw would have been a fair result.<br><br>Good attendance, but not many away supporters for a Boxing Day match.<br>